PDA

View Full Version : lexxan and acrylic

reefnut
02-09-2006, 08:02 PM
i have access to some pretty big peices of what seemms to be 3/4 inch acrylic laminated with 1/8 inch lexxan on both sides.one of our cheque cashing places took off and im gutting the place.could i use the same tools and glues on this stuff as i would normal acrylic?and does anyone know why i would not take this stuff?my only use would be for my aquariums.how does a tank look throught this thick of material?

mr_alberta
02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Lexan machines slightly differently than acrylic in my experience. Never tried glueing Lexan though.

BMW Rider
02-09-2006, 09:51 PM
You can glue lexan with weldon #16. Not sure what you could use that laminated stuff for.

RobbAdams
02-09-2006, 10:38 PM
sounds like the makings of a mantis proof tank!!

StirCrazy
02-10-2006, 12:25 PM
lexan glues bad compared to acrylic. also it scratches way easier and I am realy suprised they used it on the out side of acrylic.. I used to work for a skylight company in Edmonton and we made the round skylights on the south side cop shop.. they were a chunk of lexan (I think 5/8") with acrylic on each side as lexan wouldn't stand up to cleaning.

Steve

TheReefGeek
02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I used to work for a window and door company, we used lexan in windows once and a while, so there must be some that is clean-able! It is more shatter-proof than acrylic.

StirCrazy
02-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I used to work for a window and door company, we used lexan in windows once and a while, so there must be some that is clean-able! It is more shatter-proof than acrylic.

polycarbonat is way more shatter proof than acrylic, a chunk of 1/8th will stop a .22 from 50 feet.

and hope you don't screw it up when forming it, as you can break it with a sledge hammer at all:sad:

here is a couple quotes from various pages

"Polycarbonate (Lexan), which is virtually unbreakable due to rubber in the material’s formula, scratches easier than acrylic"

"Light transmittance for acrylic is 92% and polycarbonate is 85%. "

"Acrylic is about 10 times stronger than glass and polycarbonate is about 30 times stronger than acrylic."

"Acrylic is more brittle and is harder than polycarbonate. As a result, Acrylic resists scratches better and needs to be handled more carefully when cutting and drilling. Polycarbonate is much more impact resistant (will absorb more kinetic energy before shattering). One of the results of this physical property is polycarbonate is less prone to cracking when being machined."

"
Here are some test results from the Plexiglas properties brochure for Plexiglas G sheets performed on Plexiglas that are 14” x 20”.
<LI class=BulletList>If you threw a baseball at 47 mph, then you would be able to break a piece of Plexiglas that’s .118 inch thick (a little less than 1/8 th inch). <LI class=BulletList>If you can get your fastball up to 84 mph, then you can break .236 inch Plexiglas.
If you can break polycarbonate, then you mig ht want to consider a career as a major league pitcher. "Steve