PDA

View Full Version : Copperband Not Eating

Jaws
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Well, this is my third attempt at a Copperband. The first two developed a red, almost rash-like problem within the first couple days of being introduced to my tank. The first CB developed the redness around it's nose on each side and the second CB developed the redness on both sides of it's stomach. Their breathing increased very rapidly on the day they each developed the redness. Neither of the first two were eating or even showing any interest in the rocks. The third one is very active, not shy, and shows a lot of interest in its surroundings and is always picking at the rocks. I still cannot get him to eat anything though. Anyone else out there with a copperband that can offer some helful tips or tricks?

Chin_Lee
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
jason try some garlic. apparently it helps finicky eaters to bite. Also apparently most fish cannot resist a fresh open clam. just go to safeway or asian store, buy one or two, get a knife and slice right into the shell open it up, quick wash out of the loose poop inside and drop it in. at least get some nutrition into the fish until it learns to accepts other foods.

Gools
02-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Just as Chin Lee mentioned, try the live clam trick, I also am dealing with the same issue with my copperband, he's been with me for 2 weeks, and isn't eating frozen food. But he is gobling down live clams and muscles. In one of the empty shells after, I closed it shut with a elastic band, drilled a hole big enough for him just to get his snout in, and put some mysis, mixed with garlic, and other stimulants, and he picks it out, so far he's not eating it, just taking it out for the other fish, but now that he's fat from clams, and muscles, I might let him go hungry and then try the frozen food again when he seems hungry.

Xtasia
02-08-2006, 06:29 PM
These are good general tips. Thanks.

Jaws
02-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys. When you say mix with garlic, are you talking just minced garlic from the jar or is there something better?

Any idea what the red skin coloration might have been on the previous CB's?

christyf5
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Red skin coloration is usually a sign of a (systemic) bacterial infection in which the red area is "hemorrhaging/inflammation".

Jaws
02-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Is there any trick to adding the mussels. I've got the extra mussels in a colander (sp?) in the sump to keep them alive. Is there any harm in that? I just dropped one into the main display and the copperband has been picking at it ever since.

Gools
02-09-2006, 01:28 AM
I just put them in hot water till they open up, then crack them open alittle, so they don't close up when put in the tank.

i have crabs
02-09-2006, 01:39 AM
ive had fish wich bacterial problems before and they get a reddish blotch around the face and where the tail joins the body if he will start eating get some selcon or a vitamin additive for its food,
they have small mouths and have a hard time eating if the food is too big.

Jaws
02-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Red skin coloration is usually a sign of a (systemic) bacterial infection in which the red area is "hemorrhaging/inflammation".

Does it usually develop in one day and does the fish die that same day as well?

christyf5
02-09-2006, 03:06 AM
No it usually develops over time. The fish doesn't always die. Sometimes with good feeding/medication you can get rid of the infection. It depends on how advanced it is though. And most of the time if you've already introduced the fish to a larger tank, the stress in catching it to treat it makes it worse.

Jaws
02-09-2006, 04:04 AM
The first two copperband's I bought were ok for 2 or 3 days and then they each developed this redness in different areas. The same day I noticed the redness, the breathing increased rapidly and they died the same day. Maybe cyanide?

michika
02-09-2006, 04:04 AM
garlic extract from the healthfood store works. Go for the organic if your going to go that route.

There is also a couple of seachem (?) products called Garlic, or Entice. Entice smells like that banana-flavored antibiotic that we've all had once or twice.