PDA

View Full Version : transferring reef

asherah
02-08-2006, 07:59 AM
ok how do I move my reef 3 frags and 4 fish to another tank i have set up? =p
Should I move the rock first and wait and then the fish, or just move everything all at once?

thanks alot .. I don't want to kill anything or start a new cycle.

amanda

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I just transferred my LR from one tank to another. Waited a few days & tested the water. No new cycle so I started transferring over more LR & a few corals. Over the last month I've transferred everything over without any problems. I think I could have done it faster but I wanted to take it easy.
I just transferred the last 20-25lbs of LR today and the last coral into the new tank so I can shut down the old one. (wifey worried that a large sw tank in the same room as her expensive "new" piano is a baad thing)

To be honest, I know lots of reefers who had to move their tank from one house to another & they did it all in a few hours. This shouldn't be much different than switching tanks, since their tearing a tank down & setting it up again. As long as the LR is fully cured & not left out of the water too long (which will cause sponges, etc. to die & rot) then it should be a reasonably safe operation. Good luck & remember to test the water.

HTH,

Anthony

asherah
02-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks alot =)
The cycle on the new tank isn't done yet anyway.... =p The ammonia is 0.25, the nitrite is 2.0 and Nitrate is 10. It's been sitting about a month now... Should I do a water change or anything to help it along ?

amanda

ps. I know I already set up another tank lol but I just added rock and sand and left it for like a year lol... =p Hence the questions =)