PDA

View Full Version : Heteractis Magnifica Anemone

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Looking at getting one of these guys, I know they get large, but where do they like to dwell, do they like substrate or rock? Any other cautions about this anemone that is different than other anemones? (I have kept both carpets and LTAs successfully)

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 04:57 AM
Bump. Someone has to know.

Delphinus
02-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Can you believe that some people go as far as only checking the board only once a day? I know! Weird! But that's how they are. Kids and lives and television and dinners and actually doing stuff with the tanks sometimes takes people away from the 'pooters. :p (In other words ... maybe in the future give it more than an hour or two before "bumping"...)

Anyhow, what can I tell you? I don't want to come down too hard on you, but you've asked some incredibly basic questions that a rudimentary search should yield you. I feel like a broken record but here we go:

They get large. You cannot underestimate how incredibly large they can get. They put a large bioload of a system. They will sting neighbouring corals. They can wipe out your tank if distressed (and I mean, wipe it out) if not happy (and it's VERY difficult to keep them happy long term). They have a horrendous survival rate in captivity and that alone should dissuade most sane people. They require a tremendous amount of current, surging current is best. They will inhabit the top part of the reef. If you put them on the bottom of the tank, they will not stay there -- if they can sense a path upwards -- up they will go. If they don't -- it's a bad sign. They want to be at TOP of the reef, where the currents and lighting are the strongest. If they can feel the glass -- guess what -- that's just another reef wall to them and up they go.

They can inhabit parts of the reef that are in water shallow enough such that they can be exposed to air during extreme low tides. This should give you a sense of the lighting and the wave action that they crave.

As such, you have to carefully design a system around this anemone. The tank has to exist for the anemone alone -- nothing else. I don't know how I can underline this point any more than this. To do this right they need to be the main focus of the tank, and you have to be prepared for the consequences if you try to make the tank too many other things. It has to be a very carefully measured choice.

Delphinus
02-08-2006, 05:31 AM
PS. Check out the anemone FAQ at http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 02:24 PM
I did wait more than two hours. 2.5 hours to be precise. :mrgreen: I think you know that I normally do not do that, I was looking for a quick answer because I was placing a livestock order and needed to know.

And should I reply to all basic posts from now on that we dont want to answer basic questions, and point them to a "rudimentary" search on google?

I asked about a specific species of anemone and the husbandry required for this animal. Your response of "not wanting to come down hard on me" and insulting my question does not seem to be in the spirit of the board.

I wanted to hear from reefers who have actually kept this animal before, or at least know about them. And that is what I got, so thank you, I will stay away from this anemone.

OCDP
02-08-2006, 05:16 PM
Well.. now I must say after reading your post Tony.. that we could take another swing at an ID. From what you have said and from what has happened with this anemone over the past 8 days.. evidence is clearly leading to a BTA.

Since I introduced this anemone.. I placed it at the highest point in the tank directly under the 150w HQI. It was in a very minimal flow area. The tentacles were just barely moving in the current. Since then, after cleaning my powerheads and replacing them.. the anemone was receiving a lot more flow from both ends.. strong alternating currents, and it did not like it... so down it went... into a hole, where it is barely being moved, and now.. is not near the bulb nearly as much, rocks are covering , etc.

So I just thought after reading that I should just point out some of my own observations. You would think that if the anemone was already at the peak of the reef.. then gets a much stronger flow.. that it would look better , and be better off. But it moved out of the light, and out of the flow.. so it's weird to me haha. I am going to take a photo of it's foot right now as I can probably get a good shot of the column.

(sorry for the hijack)

Raf
02-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I did wait more than two hours. 2.5 hours to be precise. :mrgreen: I think you know that I normally do not do that, I was looking for a quick answer because I was placing a livestock order and needed to know.

And should I reply to all basic posts from now on that we dont want to answer basic questions, and point them to a "rudimentary" search on google?

I asked about a specific species of anemone and the husbandry required for this animal. Your response of "not wanting to come down hard on me" and insulting my question does not seem to be in the spirit of the board.

I wanted to hear from reefers who have actually kept this animal before, or at least know about them. And that is what I got, so thank you, I will stay away from this anemone.

You may also want to try more active boards like ReefCentral and the like if you need quick responses, they also have a more worldwide membership, hence people are on at all hours of the day/night.

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
I did. I posted simultaneously here at canreef, on reefcentral and reeflounge because I need a fast response.

Delphinus
02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Rory, I'm sorry if I came down too hard. It's just that this information seems to get posted again and again but once it gets past one week old it's seemingly lost into the ether forever, and then the next person comes along and asks the same questions, and the cycle is repeated. I swear I've typed in the same information, or at least seen it written, again and again, and so when I found myself about to type it in again, I guess I snarled. I shouldn't have; for that I apologize.

The real point I wanted to make (and still do) is that it's not really a species that should be attempted on a casual basis. I'm not saying nobody should keep it (although I'm sure there are some who do feel that way, and there are days when I can't argue with them). But it would be very hypocritical of me to make such a stand.

Unfortunately it is one that very often is attempted casually and this sort of thing drives me nuts. They require a lot of space (this is reasonably well documented), they require a lot of light, food, and current (again reasonably documented). One thing that's perhaps not that well documented is the damage they can do when distressed. They can take out corals that are within their sting zone, that sting zone can be fairly large because of their disposition to always wander. But there are also stories of them killing (not eating) fish due to distress (i.e., injury sustained due to pump intake or overflow). I myself have had at least 3 incidents of fish wipe-outs due to the anemone needing to be moved. Nothing can prepare you for the anguish of watching one by one, all your beloved fish die like that.

But it's not all negative, I suppose, otherwise what would be the point of continuing? No, of course, it can be very rewarding. It's just that nothing happens fast in this hobby except for disasters. So my advice for anyone who wishes to keep the species is to do it right. I've made so many mistakes by rushing things it's the one thing I would want others to be able to learn from my example.

Here are some threads, this one I did a large write up about a month ago on, and has some (I think, or at least 'hope') potentially useful info.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=749311

Let me just finish off with this parting thought: Success is most assuredly possible with this species. It's just a rather expensive proposition in the end.

I hope I may have redeemed myself at least partially with this reply over my earlier one, and I do apologize for the unfriendly tone.

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Done and done, feel free to edit this thread to contain only posative, relevent information.

I value your opinion, you have great advice and I appreciate it. I am not going to get this anemone.

I am likely not going to pursue any anemonies for now, I am going to try a non-target feeding tank where everything can prosper without direct feeding.

AJ_77
02-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I cannot believe you're getting snotty with Tony. He shows astounding patience and helpfulness, and he did not insult your question or you.

There is an adequate Search function here that will turn up multiple results instantly - all you have to do is browse them for your answer. This a lot more efficient and timely than waiting on multiple posts.

Someone who goes by such a nick should have more of clue about how to go about these things.