PDA

View Full Version : Bottom repair 66 gal

Paverdude
02-07-2006, 11:48 PM
I'v got a 66 gal that i broke the bottom out of i'v removed the broken glass and was told by someone that i should totaly disassemble the tank and rebuld it, is ths true?

Also anyone with previous experance with this have any tips/sugestions?

Thanks

Quagmire
02-08-2006, 01:27 AM
Ive replaced a few glass pannels,without rebuilding the whole tank.Never a bottom tho.I would just make sure you get a new piece the right size and thickness,make sure you run a nice even bead of calc where the pieces come together,and run a bead around the inside.Maybe if you want,you can use a razor to cut out all the inside beads,and then recalc them.You should give at least 24 hrs for the calc to set,maybe a bit more better safe than sorry.After Ive replaced glass,I always fill it up with fresh water and let it sit for a couple days to see if any leaks develop.

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Thanks Quagmire
kind of what i was thinking re calk the inside of the whole tank

Gigdy Gigdy Gigdy

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 03:47 AM
what do you use to remove the remaining silicon film after i used a razor?

Quagmire
02-08-2006, 04:08 AM
Just keep scraping,the film will slowly come off.You dont have to get it totaly clean,the new silicone will still seal if you get most off.I dont know if you have a top brace of any kind,but if not,then becareful to keep the tank as stable as possible.If the corners move too far off 90 deg.it may weaken the seal and cause a leak.

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Ya i left the top brace on

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
The bottom is between the sides and held up from the bottom would i be better off getting a larger glass and putting the sides on top of the bottom?

Quagmire
02-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I just checked the tank Im working on (40g),and the sides sit on top the bottom glass on that one.I could be wrong,but to me it seems that would be stronger.If you dont already have the glass cut to fit inside,maybe getting a bit larger piece would be a good idea.If you already have it cut,then may as well use it.I dont think it will make much of a difference on a 66g.

Well just checked my 90g and the bottom is on the inside.So I guess its what ever makes you comfortable.

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 10:05 PM
thanks for checking, ithink it would be easer to get it bigger and place it on the bottom, i'll order it tomotow, thanks agaig

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 10:09 PM
I called Bennett Glass in Calgary, they quoted me $68.22 seems to be a good price, Crystal wants $125

BMW Rider
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
If the tank has a plastic rim on the bottom, you may need to redo the bottom pane as it was for the rim to fit properly again. If there is no rim then you could do it either way. How big is the piece of glass your getting? $68 sounds expensive too, but then I haven't priced out glass in quite awhile.

Paverdude
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
The bottom has a plastic rim, but if i put the sides ontop of the bottom i figured i'd just leave it out, the glass is 48" X 16" X 3/8"

BMW Rider
02-09-2006, 02:21 AM
If you go without the plastic rim, make sure you use a piece of styrofoam under the tank to prevent pressure points from breaking the new glass bottom.