PDA

View Full Version : Seafood stores

deep6er
02-07-2006, 10:04 PM
I am going to start off by saying I am a little upset right now. Why you ask.
Well Today I was not doing anything so I decided to look at some malls that I have not been to before. I whent into one Called Parker place (Richmond). I went into a seafood store just to see what they had and what did I see In a 45gal or so, tank....... A 3"shark. I dont know what kind of shark it was but it did not look happy. I dont know if it was because of the small tank or the fact that he knew he was going to be dinner for some one at only $24/lb.
I dont realy know why Im upset I see stuff like that all the time in pet stores not this big but you know what I mean. I guess the difference is that we TRY to keep them alive.

Does anyone know if there is a law aganst it?

Xtasia
02-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Alot of westerners are offended by asian markets. I am not surprised. This is part of a long ethical debate which omnivores such as myself would be hypocritical to join.

There is a huge difference between someone keeping an animal as a pet, or as food. Luck of the draw..

For
Dogs..
Chickens...
Pigs...
Birds...
Fish...
Rabbits...

In actuality tho, that shark probably has it alot better than a chicken, or cow. Atleast the suffering is relatively minimal and the death will be swift.

Willow
02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
i dont see the diffrence between any other live foods that markets sell like tilapia, crabs, lobster, clams.. and a shark, it's food.

dirtyreefer
02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
It's the same as going to Safeway and seeing about 100 lobsters crammed into a 90 gallon tank. They're basically stacked on top of each other to maximize the space, however that wouldn't really be considered ethical either.

Chin_Lee
02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
I am going to start off by saying I am a little upset right now. Why you ask.
Well Today I was not doing anything so I decided to look at some malls that I have not been to before. I whent into one Called Parker place (Richmond). I went into a seafood store just to see what they had and what did I see In a 45gal or so, tank....... A 3"shark. I dont know what kind of shark it was but it did not look happy. I dont know if it was because of the small tank or the fact that he knew he was going to be dinner for some one at only $24/lb.
I dont realy know why Im upset I see stuff like that all the time in pet stores not this big but you know what I mean. I guess the difference is that we TRY to keep them alive.

Does anyone know if there is a law aganst it?

Hey thanks. I've been looking for a couple of weeks to buy a shark for some shark fin soup and shark steaks. Everywhere else have been sold out due to the Chinese New Year. I guess i'll be visiting Parker Place shortly and I'll make sure that shark gets put out of its misery sooner than later (and switfly). Yummy Yummy Yummmmmmy!
As far as a law against it, no there isn't a law that will specify a linear foot of a fish to the gallons of water that it is being housed in before it becomes soup and steaks.
Actually a 3' shark in a 45 gal tank is probably doing a lot better than a chicken on its way to be processed into human food.

deep6er
02-08-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree with all the points everyone made. I have just never seen that before so it was a big shock to me. And I would never want to shut the store down I just thought you were not alowed to catch them. And I will just kick myself in the ass by saying I have eaten sharkfin soup and shark steak, the steak was good.

G1GY
02-08-2006, 03:48 AM
I love going to the T&T Asian market here in Calgary!

I don't eat fish or anything else there (I just buy this great coffee), but I can browse for hours on end.

And the live seafood section is my favorite spot there.:)