PDA

View Full Version : Covering Seio Intakes. How?

OCDP
02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Well, I need to cover some intakes...

My question is , how? How can we make an efficient powerhead intake guard for Seio pumps? Sorry, I just can't think of anything that would work well.

Please, if you know of any ways or have any suggestions, I am all ears.

Thank you, :smile:

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 02:41 PM
A big foam ring?

OCDP
02-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah, that was my first thought as well.. but...

I think doing something like that would completely reduce the power on my Seio 620's . And I really don't want that if possible.... because I have lots of SPS in there that need all the flow they can get.

Perhaps I am wrong though.. I can try it out.

Dumb question.. but how would you secure the foam on to the intake? Tie it around or, I dunno? :neutral:

If anyone else has any other ideas I am welcome to them... as I'm not too crazy about the foam idea, although it may be the only option.

Thanks

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Go get one of those round foam disks that Eheims use. Cut a hole in the center a bit smaller than the one you need and push it on. The friction as well as the suction from the pump will keep it on.

SJSobczyk
02-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Scott,

I know you have some pantyhose kicking around so why dont you try that? Seriously, i have used it before and it worked out well. You might look strange at walmart picking it up, but just play the role!

Steve

OCDP
02-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Mr. Alberta,

Thanks for the suggestion :D .. Where can I find those Eheim foam discs? Anyone know by any chance?

Steve,

That's a pretty good idea as well.. I may have to consider that as well !

Thanks guys, a couple options opening up to me now.. just need to know where I can get a foam disc.

Scott

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Big Al's should carry the foam discs.

OCDP
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Thank you.

Would pantyhose work effectively for now until I can get down to BA's?

In other words. If my anemone detatches and winds up on the intake.. will the pantyhose save it, or is it a waste of my time to try?

Shy_Koi
02-07-2006, 04:56 PM
I cut a 1" wide strip of flat bonded polyfiber mat, long enough to go around the Seio's intake, and secured the ends with a small plastic cable connector so that it formed a ring. The friction of the fit, plus the suction of the intake will hold it on, as Mr_Alberta stated.
~Tamara

Shy_Koi
02-07-2006, 05:01 PM
I cut a 1" wide strip of flat bonded polyfiber mat, long enough to go around the Seio's intake, and secured the ends with a small plastic cable connector so that it formed a ring. The friction of the fit, plus the suction of the intake will hold it on, as Mr_Alberta stated.
~Tamara

Mmmm - I can't seem to edit my message, of a few minutes ago, so had to post a new one :neutral:

Just wanted to add that the foams need to be rinsed daily, as they WILL reduce the flow considerably as crud accumulates in them...
~Tamara

OCDP
02-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Here you go folks.. compliments of RC. A cheap and free , effective intake guard. Seeing as most of us use the Seio's as Tunze style.. simply cut here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/untitled.jpg

Use the top half (the box part) Apply to the Seio and BAM... intake guard.

Will be doing this when I get home :D

(image courtesy of Reefcentral's Highlander)

Delphinus
02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Neat. It looks -just- like a sohal tang. :p

SJSobczyk
02-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Tsk tsk watermark photos!

Steve

OCDP
02-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Edit*

Fixed:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/OCDP2005/untitled.jpg

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Umm, wouldn't an anemone still be able to get sucked through that?

OCDP
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Quoted from Highlander on RC:

"The pull will be less through the slots on the secondary cover, because there are more of them, and they are longer"

muck
02-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Scott,

Do you have the link to the RC thread? Id be interested in reading it.

OCDP
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Yup, here you go Ryan (and everyone else..)

Here's my thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=770856

And here's the other thread the intake guard originated from:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=770805

:mrgreen:

muck
02-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Thx Scott.