PDA

View Full Version : Sump/fuge for a large cube

Ruth
02-07-2006, 12:36 PM
So I am trying to get equipment etc. for a new tank that I will be setting up sometime this year and looking for input on a sump/fuge. It is a 300g 4' X 4' cube with a center overflow. I am wondering if I should get a square fuge built or if I could go with like 2 X 75g tanks and use one as the fuge and one as the sump for equipment and just get them both drilled so that one overflows into the other (somehow). Any suggestions? I do not plan on using a closed loop on this tank initially (see how it goes with 4 6200 Tunzes on a controller). It is an acrylic tank so do have the option of drilling in the future if I am not happy.

Joe Reefer
02-07-2006, 01:54 PM
4x4 cube! Thats going to be awesome.:smile:

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 02:59 PM
If you have the room to seperate the fuge and the sump, I would do so.

How many holes and what size, in the center overflow?

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I would 2 two 3' tanks. 1 for fuge, 1 for sump. If you want one to drain into the other though, I would build a stand (that fit under the stand for the display tank of course) for the sumps that would make the two tanks sit one above the other...like stairs kinda thing if you see what I'm saying...

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 03:27 PM
If there is no room under tha stand to raise one up, then you can connect the two tanks with pvc and two bulkheads at equal height. Have the water first go into the fuge, then through the bulkhead into the sump. This should work as long as the water level maintained in the fuge is higher than the sump, which will generally be the case.

Ruth
02-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Overflow is 12" X 18" and has 5 holes (I think - it's still all wrapped up). 2" drain and 4 X 3/4" returns.
I don't think I could do the stacking thing with 2 separate tanks as the sump/fuge will be underneath the display and I also want this display to actually be lower than normal because my "plan" is to make it top down viewable for clams.
So far I have most of the equipment I will need - calcium reactor, tunzes, protein skimmer, return pump.
I am still a little undecided on how I want my lights to work. Initially I was going to go with 2 X 250W MH supplimented by VHO actinics for one "side" of the tank and 2 X 400W MH with Luminarc reflectors. I actually have this purchased but am now thinking that I may just want to go with 4 Luminarc 400W penants. I guess my question is how the heck would I suppliment this with some kind of VHO actinic? Could you just go with a fixture with only VHO and sort of run it down the middle?
Help and suggestions most appreciated.

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 03:40 PM
If you stand is low, to get two tanks you will probably have to do as I mentioned. That or use a tank that is shorter than the other, that could save drilling one of the tanks.

If you want MH and VHO on a 4x4 tank, im thinking one giant hanging fixture. You could then put the lights wherever you want in it, including 3 or 4 ft VHOs. This would take some woodworking though.

If woodworking isnt an option, the other option is to buy 2, retail 4ft fixtures with 2xMH+VHO already in them. Then just hang them side by side. It would be like lighting 2, 2x4ft tanks. Hamilton for example, makes these. THey are available at JL aquatics. There are also some pendants with PC actinics built into them as well, but pretty weak and pricey.

Delphinus
02-07-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd be seriously tempted to put some surge tanks on a tank like that. Maybe two surge tanks and an above-the-display refugium and just leave the sump as the sump.

Man I'd love a 4x4 cube. That's not gonna be fun getting it into your place though (I wouldn't even be able to get one like that in my basement at all, I checked .. !! Unless it was maybe built in-place.)

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
I assume the cube is going to be a walk-around, not up against the wall, so having a fuge above the display might not look so good. Unless you did a secion of drop ceiling to put both the lights and a fuge in, with an access panel on one side....... Wouldn't cost THAT much to get a drywaller to do for you, then you could go with retrofit kits for lighting, save a bit vs. pendants or full fixtures.

Ruth
02-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Well I already have the 2 luminarc pendants so will be using them and probably buying 2 more and selling the 2 X 250W with VHO fixture. Is there a fixture that just has VHO? I am thinking either 2 or 4 4' VHO and just hang this in between the luminarcs. If I can find someone to build me a fixture that is definately and option.

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Ok, what you can do then is keep your 2x250w + VHO fixture, hang that on half the tank. Then get a bare bones fixture, put in your two pendant bulbs, and just add VHO. This way all you are buying is some VHO, and a fixture.

Ruth
02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
I must be confusing. I already have 2 X Luminarc 111 pendants
http://www.pacificgardensupply.com/products.asp?cat=2
with the connections and ballasts. I will be adding another 2 (I think), selling the 250W fixture and wondered how I would incorporate some VHO actinic lighting into this set up.

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
You currently have 2 pendants of MH, AND a fixture with 2 MH + VHO, is that correct?

If that is the case, buy a bare bones fixture to put the 2 pendants into, and add VHO to it. Then you will have 2 fixtures, each with MH + VHO in them, and that will be perfect coverage for a 4x4

Ruth
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Here is a better link
http://www.pacificgardensupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=L3&cat=2
These are big reflectors - approx. 20" X 20" so I don't think that a barebones fixture box is available - besides which I would have no idea how to put the thing together. I was thinking that I could hang all 4 pendants and then somehow run a VHO fixture down the center.

prospero31
02-07-2006, 07:40 PM
It always seems to me that Ruth does the coolest stuff.

christyf5
02-07-2006, 07:42 PM
It always seems to me that Ruth does the coolest stuff.

I totally agree. I'm drooling over those lumenarc pendants :razz: Too bad we couldn't get a group order on those suckers!

Ruth
02-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Well why didn't I think of that. Actually we probably can if there is enough interest. I still have to order a couple of more (complete with ballast etc.) so if you want I will contact them and see if they are interested in a group order? I know that they had one going on Zeovit (that of course I missed out on).
These are supposed to be amazing reflectors and I know that the 2 I already have are pretty sweet.

christyf5
02-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah that would be fantastic!! :mrgreen:

BTW, we should ask Psyire, he did a group order of Lumenarcs last year at some point. Maybe he could give us some ideas on the volume we have to move to get the deals.

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Lumenarcs group order eh? Hmmm *goes to count his pennies*

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
You can hang VHO fixtures in-between the pendants, but 1 down the center will miss some area along the sides. You could also hang multiple VHO fixtures. The best looking would be 1 giant hood/cabinet fixture with vho and your large 20x20 reflectors mounted inside.