PDA

View Full Version : tankmates for a snowflake

digitalsteve
02-07-2006, 07:55 AM
looking at adding a fish into my system.. all i have in there is a 15" snowflake moray. i have the usual clean up crew etc. the tank is a 50g.

i want something in the 3" range and it has to be fairly active or my eel will dine. i want to stay away from damsels or dwarf angels . does anyone have any suggestions. the tank is primarily a fowlr. i might be adding some corals over the next month or two , but all will be low maintenece stuff.

thanks for the help in advance

i have crabs
02-07-2006, 02:03 PM
get a small grouper of some kind since the 50g is too small for the eel anyway then youl have a good reason to buy a bigger tank pluss they will eat the same food so no extra hassle.

guysmiley
02-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi there,

I added a small snowflake to my 135 Gal reef 6 months ago. It hans't eaten anything yet except for one clam. I do some risky things in my reef sometimes and most people think I'm crazy but it keeps the hobby interesting. I have anthias that sit right in front of the eels mouth defending their territory and no problems.... yet....

Garrick.

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Are there any smaller sized triggers that would work in a 50g?

digitalsteve
02-08-2006, 03:13 AM
get a small grouper of some kind since the 50g is too small for the eel anyway then youl have a good reason to buy a bigger tank pluss they will eat the same food so no extra hassle.

actually a 50 gallon tank is perfectly fine for a snowflake. and groupers are notoriously predacious so i would like to avoid them , what about

http://www.jlaquatics.com/images/new%20and%20noteworthy/puffer.jpg

this little guy.. tops out at 4 inches and seem s like a good candidate.

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Is that a valentini? If it is, they have so much character, very interactive.

i have crabs
02-08-2006, 04:29 AM
finger print toby and very cool fish but if you have a 15" snowflake 3' long 50g is not big enough a 4' tank might do but its not enough room