PDA

View Full Version : Fox Face and Sailfin

Seriak
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I have a semi FOWLR semi Reef tank in which I have had a Sailfin living in for quite some time. The other day I bought a Foxface to help with the Hair algae and because I like them, but as soon as I put him in the tank, the sailfin started to smack the foxface with its tail and take nips out of its rear fin. I have since put the foxface into my full reef tank where the other tangs leave him alone and he is doing quite well now. However, I really wanted him in the other tank. Is this behaviour normal initially or do I just have a sailfin that will not get along with a foxface?

Kabong
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
The sailfin is just being teritorial.
Your option's are
Let them go for at see if they get tierd of it.
Try rearanging the rocks in the tank so its a new "teritory"
Place a piece of eggcrate down the middle of the tank and give them some time to see each other and get use to the other one.

seashells
02-06-2006, 06:20 PM
We have a Sailfin & a Foxface together. Sailfin was first. For the most part they are best buddies! They do squabble a bit but they are always side by side. No damage has been done to either.

Skimmer Juice
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
My sailfin tang was the same way no matter what tank I used he would slap the other fish. So you might be outta luck.I had him with a dogface, cowfish, and a leaflip grouper he was not good with any.

Psyire
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
I have a sailfin and foxface, they get along just great. Chances are the aggression will subside, he's just trying to display dominance.

Doug
02-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I added mine at the same time, so thats cheating. :smile: The sailfin, even though yet a youngster, does nip at the tail of the Foxface from time to time. They seem to get along pretty well though. I keep them very well fed, so foods arguments dont come into play.

Sometimes fish are just ignorant and never change. Only removal solves the problem

Pansy-Paws
02-07-2006, 05:00 AM
It's not a lost cause ... not yet anyway :lol:

I've had both in the same tank before, and have to agree that the Sailfin was the most territorial.

Try an eggcrate divider for the tank (leave it in place for at least 2 weeks). That way the Sailfin can see the Foxface, while also having food arriving as before, with enough for both of them. One of the reasons for aggression is to defend the necessary territory to maintain an adequate food supply. Pod eaters seem to be notorious for battling in this regard.

With the fight for food eased, as long as the tank is big enough and aquascaped to give each their own space, you'll stand a good chance.

I've used this technique with an Emperor Angel and a Yellow Damsel on separate occasions, to good effect.

Good Luck :razz:

Seriak
02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will try this eggcrate method. I should have some lying around here somewhere. :)

Beverly
02-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Both of these fish get quite large, so having a large enough tank for each of them to have their own territory will help your fish get along better.