PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on recirc skimmer

Saltysteve
02-06-2006, 05:44 PM
I am running my recirculating DAS skimmer with a Maxi Jet 1200 pump. I bought a MAG pump recently (thanks Rich) but I am wondering, would it not be better to keep the smaller pump feeding the skimmer so the contact time is greater?

Thanks!

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes, a re-circed skimmer will be more efficient, with no drawbacks except that you have to feed the skimmer with water somehow, in your case with the mj-1200.

Griffin
02-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Give it shot both ways steve - i get alot of black sludge with the mag 2 running 24/7 although mine came with both pumps attached so i never tried any other pump to feed it.
Cheers
Rich

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 06:50 PM
How would you get new water into the skimmer without a pump or drain line feeding it?

Saltysteve
02-06-2006, 07:45 PM
The pump feeding it, is a Maxi Jet 1200. I am just wondering, because I have read, running a bigger pump improves skimming. I am doubting that this is true.

Big pump= replaces water in skimmer over and over.
Small pump= more contact with the bubbles for a longer period of time before the water gets replaced!

I may just have to test it out :)

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Sorry SaltySteve, my questions was to Griffin, should have directed that one better.

Salty: You doubt that a bigger pump improves skimming, but this is why:

Bigger RECIRCULATING PUMP with the same FEED PUMP = same dwell time (water is being turned over the same rate) with more air bubbles being injected (due to the bigger pump)

Griffin
02-06-2006, 08:40 PM
The mag 2 feeds feeds the skimmer - another mag mounted on the skimmer for recirculating aswell as the air inlet attaches to that closed loop and the return is off the other side - great skimmer IMO

http://stores.petorama.net/catalog/EX1_Large.jpg

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Gotcha.

As long as 1 pump feeds new water, as many other pumps as you want can be recirculating.

untamed
02-07-2006, 01:24 AM
I think that the question is...what is the recommended flow-through rate of his particular recirculating skimmer? (or any recirc skimmer, for that matter) Is a larger input pump necessarily better than a smaller one?

I've been puzzling over this as well since I read ASM's flow recommendations (low), and compare them to Deltec's (much higher). In order to compare the two opinions, I'm trying to match cylinder size and heights, as well as recirc pumps.

My opinion is that the lower flow through is actually better...provided that there is enough flow to process the tank volume some mininum number of times/hr. How many times per hour...? I have no idea!

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 01:42 AM
There are also two different flow-through rates. The rate of the sump it is in, and the rate through the actual skimmer. Which one do you mean?

Saltysteve
02-07-2006, 04:38 AM
" My opinion is that the lower flow through is actually better"

This is my guess as well!

ReefGeek: You bring up a completely new subject :)
My best bet there, as long as the sump (overflow/return) is turning over enough water to surpass the skimmer, your skimmer will always be working :D

mr_alberta
02-07-2006, 05:00 AM
If you want to figure out the optimal input rate of the pump for your skimmer, take a look at this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=680552

Bombardment rate, dwell time, processing time oh my! :eek: