PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Fish

doch
02-06-2006, 02:54 AM
I've had my tank set up for over a year now, never with a lid on it and have not had a fish jump out yet... until the last week or so... a yellow wrasse, and a blue tang have both jumped. Any idea as to why??? The only thing that has changed is that I changed my lights from PC to PC an 2x400W hallides. I'm freaked out... I just lost my favorite fish. Let me know if you have any ideas.

OCDP
02-06-2006, 03:08 AM
I guess it's hard to say what makes them jump. Most times they are startled and bam they fly out... that's the case for me anyhow.

Either way, very sorry to hear about the two losses. :sad:

tbone
02-06-2006, 03:20 AM
i'm thinking it could be the new lighting system?

i saw this one video when this one guy was fishing in the dark in some river and they used a spot light to shined on the water. you would see a crap loud of flying fish come for the light. it was amazing.

http:/
/www.youtube.com/w/fishing?v=G7mpUZ58WuY&search=fish (http://www.youtube.com/w/fishing?v=G7mpUZ58WuY&search=fish)
when i had a cleaner wrasse he jumped out.

but regal tang thats kinda old.

BMW Rider
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
I don't know how he managed it, but my fairy wrasse managed to jump out and get ontop :eek: of the eggcrate covers last week. At most there was a gap of about 3/8" between the two pieces. He must have hit it just right. He won't do it again though :sad: by the time I found him he was dried out. I'm a bit more carefull about pushing the pieces to gether now to close the gap. Normally eggcrate is a pretty good method of keeping jumpers in the tank without restricting the air exchange and evaporation.

Quagmire
02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
I lost a firefish the same way.Jumped through the eggcrate and found him shrivled up on the rug.Looked pretty nasty all dried out,even the cat wouldn't touch him.Never heard of aquarium lights causing fish to jump,exept when they are first turned on.But if thats the only thing different,maybe thats what it is.

KrazyKuch
02-07-2006, 04:44 AM
I had problems with jumping fish when I tried to silicon a leak....Apparently when wet silcon comes in contact with the water it makes your fish jump crazy!!!

Myanth
02-07-2006, 05:23 AM
Weird.... I just installed by 2X250W MH over my 90 tonight and some interesting things happened. My corals shrunk and my new anemone stood at attention... as I had expected. But my clowns started taking wild runs at the surface. So did a watchman goby. I've had them for over a year and a half and have never seen them do that. Got the lights set to come on for alternate one hour cycles tomorrow....

I'm worried about my day at work now......

eggcrate huh? I'd better invest some more.

Mike

KrazyKuch
02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
did you aclimate your tank to the new light???

Skimmerking
02-07-2006, 12:33 PM
that is the big questions ,that people dont do..

mike

TheReefGeek
02-07-2006, 02:49 PM
By acclimate you mean start it off high up, and slowly lower it?

michika
02-07-2006, 10:16 PM
That or what I did is I put the lights on for a hour then off for an hour then on for an hour then off for an hour.

Then the next day go like on for 2 off for one

third day on for 3 hours off for one....

keep doing so till it is on full time!

doch
02-08-2006, 05:03 AM
Well, I never noticed any different behaviours from anything. Corals all stayed the same, fish didn't seem to act any different... etc. Of course, I started them at about 15 inches off the water for 3 hours a day, then progressed by a half hour every three days... so maybe the behaviour change would have been gradual??? I have no idea. I sure don't like it though. I've lost a lot of fish lately... all of which to stupid stuff like this, or a boxfish getting stuck to my drain line... GGRRRR!!!! On the bright side: My corals are doing awesome... and they can't jump!!! lol.

TheReefGeek
02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Do you have your tank covered now?

doch
02-09-2006, 12:37 AM
Not yet. I need to build a lid and stand... .SOON!!!

TheReefGeek
02-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Put egg crate from the hardware or lighting store over it for now, or permananetly.