PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Area blackout.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-05-2006, 04:38 AM
As we know, various areas power has been going on and off all day. I had the power off between 3:30 and 9:30 PM/ Luckily when I got home, the water temp had only dropped a couple degrees and I quickly remedied that by adding a little bit of hot water to the tank.

Just wondering how many people experienced similar troubles...especially people with smaller tanks. How do you do about heating your tanks when the power is off?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-05-2006, 07:17 AM
I heard that North Burnaby (J&L was closed because of no power), East Van, & West End were all experiencing blackouts due to high winds knocking down trees all night. 100,000 people without power in the Lower Mainland.

Anthony

Diana
02-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh yes, and it was FUN driving through coquitlam this morning with NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS *recounts the ordeal in horror*

luckily we didnt loose any power... fishies (including our 50+ newly hatched clowny babies) were safe.

:D
-Diana

nanoreefer
02-05-2006, 10:12 AM
iam woried about my tanks when the power gos out sence they are all under 10g(a 10g 5g hex, 2.5 and an azoo) but i gess if the power gos out i can just float some hot water in a bagie or somthing i hope......

Stab_Master_Arson
02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I heard that North Burnaby (J&L was closed because of no power), East Van, & West End were all experiencing blackouts due to high winds knocking down trees all night. 100,000 people without power in the Lower Mainland.

Anthony

Yep, I showed up at J&L around 11am. The whole complex was out. We then went for sushi and it was packed, probably filled with powerless people.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-05-2006, 01:08 PM
iam woried about my tanks when the power gos out sence they are all under 10g(a 10g 5g hex, 2.5 and an azoo) but i gess if the power gos out i can just float some hot water in a bagie or somthing i hope......

Yeah man, that 2.5 would be cold in like 10 mintes. Floating some hot water in a bag would work. My tank was without heat for atleast 4 hours since I didnt get home until around 8. The nieghbor said the power went out around 3:30. Shaw goes out at about 11:30 and I am without cable and the internet until just recently. I hate the wind.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Oh yes, and it was FUN driving through coquitlam this morning with NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS *recounts the ordeal in horror*

luckily we didnt loose any power... fishies (including our 50+ newly hatched clowny babies) were safe.

-Diana

People are insane when the traffic lights go out. While going down lougheed on the way to coquitlam a few of the lights were out. My girlfriend commented that people must take "idiot pills" during blackouts because nobody seemed to understand the concept of 4-way stops and not making left or rigth turns if they don't have to....The lights were fine down the road. they could have waited to turn then and then backtracked up a side road but nooooo, they have to turn now and hold up a few thousand cars.

"OH NO, NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS...THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

But glad to see that you clownies are alright.

Beverly
02-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Geez, you folks in Vancouver are having a lousy winter :sad: First you had all that rain (and you didn't even get the satisfaction of breaking the record!), mudslides causing death, now blackouts :eek:

Glad everyone is okay there :smile:

Our winter has been unreal in another sense. Almost no snow, waaaaay above normal temperatures since November. I'm afraid we're in for one heck of a fire season once spring hits unless we get mega precipitation in the coming weeks :eek:

Diana
02-05-2006, 06:02 PM
(and you didn't even get the satisfaction of breaking the record!), mudslides causing death, now blackouts :eek:

Oh no, didn't you hear!? We DID break the records baby! By like 1 cm or something! Woo woo!

*so proud*

-Diana

GobiGurl
02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
North Van Marine Drive was out for hours yesterday too. My daughter works very close to Capilano mall and in the morning a pedistrian got struck by a car and at around 5, I was coming in the same direction and a person not stopping for the absent stop light, smoked the side of car.
Those people were not having a good day...

Diana, thanks for the adorable tomato clown, I love his markings. I'll keep you posted on his progress and congrats on being a new mom...........with the new baby cIowns. (if Raf reads this, he'll be scared for a minute, lol)
Lynn

Beverly
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Oh no, didn't you hear!? We DID break the records baby! By like 1 cm or something! Woo woo!

What was reported here was the "number of raining days" record that wasn't broken. Glad you broke a record of some type after all those days of rain :biggrin:

Gads! You folks are near a fault line too. Hope something doesn't go awry with that any time soon :shocked!: With all the extreme weather and geologic shimmy shammying worldwide, do any of you on the coast worry about earthquakes?

Mike Olson
02-06-2006, 02:08 AM
I was lucky that my power stayed on. I know that some areas in south Langley were without for over eight hours! Paul ( Inspector on Canreef) had bought one of those power inverters from Canadian Tire...you leave them plugged in...when power goes out, you can run a powerhead for approx. eight hours before running out of a charge. The larger model could probably run a heater too if need be. Small investment for the life of a tank.

Xtasia
02-06-2006, 05:20 PM
Can anyone tell me if the power around King Eds on Kingsway went out?

Thanks

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Ivy,

Power at our place & King Ed's never went out. Down the hill on Gilley, our friends' power went out for about 6 hours Sat. morning.

Anthony

StirCrazy
02-06-2006, 11:46 PM
I had 15 black outs in the last week, I gave up and took the stand if it dies it dies and nothing did:mrgreen: mind you the longest was 4 hours and the rest were under 1 hour.

Steve

Aquatic-Obsession
02-07-2006, 12:06 AM
i was out for about 4 hours (Maple Ridge) however most grids around me had power :S....... and they were like 2 minutes away walking distance....