PDA

View Full Version : micro bubbles

digitalsteve
02-05-2006, 04:26 AM
my skimmer is kicking out a ton of micro bubbles into the tank, is there a way to modify the skimmer so it stops doing that , or at least cut it down to a minimum

skimmer is a coralife 65

TheReefGeek
02-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Is that a hang on or sump model?

Quagmire
02-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Maybe take a look through this thread
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15932
Its kind of long,but there are a few suggestions that might help you.
By coralife 65 Im assuming you mean the Supperskimmer.If not....ooops

digitalsteve
02-05-2006, 09:08 PM
yeah , thats the skimmer i mean ... i have it mounted in sump

TheReefGeek
02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
If it is in-sump, then install 3 baffles (under, over, under) about 1 to 1.5" apart and that should take care of the microbubbles. The goal is to force the bubbles to rise to the top of the water where they pop, before they hit your return pump and go to your display tank.

digitalsteve
02-06-2006, 01:32 AM
how could you install 3 baffles in a tank that is already set up?

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 03:53 AM
You have to shut down the sump for a day. Drain it, dry it, install the baffles, wait 24hrs, then bring it back up.

Not skimming for that time is no big deal, you might have to move your heaters up and put in some powerheads for flow.

You can also try a filter sock and other medias to stop the bubbles, but then you have to maintain it, not a good long term solution to microbubbles, IMO.

digitalsteve
02-06-2006, 06:33 AM
would a filter sock do the trick for now though? i just need to reduced the bubbles coming out of the return of the skimmer

sumpfinfishe
02-06-2006, 06:44 AM
A filter sock or a bunch of poly wool will do the trick for now, as mentioned above tho it's a quick fix to a problem that is easier taken care of with baffles or a small piece of plexi used for a partition.

I only have my skimmer return hitting one baffle before it reaches the return pump, but because the return is at the other end of the sump by the time it reaches that side all the micro bubbles have risen to the surface or stuck to the baffle.

digitalsteve
02-06-2006, 08:00 AM
i tried that , i have my sump partitioned into 3 sections and my skimmer empties into the first compartment , yet, it goes over 2 partitions before going to the return pump , yet i still get mad bubbles in the tank..... i might try the poly wool any other suggestions?

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Are you posative the microbubbles are coming from the skimmer, and not from the water draining into your sump? What is your return pump, and how big is your sump? (I want to calculate the turnover rate in your sump)

digitalsteve
02-06-2006, 08:21 PM
i have checked the sump return and everything , the bubbles dissapear if i turn off my skimmer... i have a turnover rate of about 375-400gph roughly 10X the tank volume... it is most defiantely ythe skimmer which is causing the bubbles

TheReefGeek
02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Draining your sump and putting in baffles is the best choice. BUT, thinking outside the box, you might be able to do something else.

What is the output of your skimmer like? What I am thinking is you can modify how/where the output of your skimmer goes to get rid of the microbubbles before they go into your sump at all.

digitalsteve
02-10-2006, 08:50 AM
well the skimmer drain out of a pipe into the far end of the sump . the return enters underwater. .. if i changed the pipe to pvc pipe with a few elbows in it would thathelp eliminte the bubbles by slowing the water down?

Pescador
02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
You could try draining the skimmer into a piece of PVC 2-3" dia. sitting on end with holes drilled in the side near the bottom. It used to work for me to reduce overflow return bubbles.

richtg
02-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I would cut baffles and wrap the 3 sides with foam or filter floss, etc. to wedge them in place. I have done this before, and it works well until the next time you have your sump apart to silicone them. It is also a great way to experiment with the baffle placement.

If you have any eggcrate, you can use it as spacers and glue the 3 baffles together (spaced evenly with the eggcrate spacers) and drop the whole unit into your sump and drop a rock, etc. behind it to stop it from moving.