PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia and hot water

mark
02-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Very new to this aiptasia thing.

Okay, what I'm not understanding is you inject them with hot water they're dead, you're finished with them. If you scrape them off and leave a little tissue behind they can regrow.

Just so I'm clear, if I inject them, what else do I need to do? Does the whole animal die?

seashells
02-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Fill the syringe with very hot water. Hold the syringe just above the tenticles. Squirt the hot water toward the center and bath both the body and the tenticles. It will very quickly shrivel up and die. If you have a lot of them then try and scrape off the remains. If they are small they shouldn't affect water balance if at all. we find it works just as well as joes juice. Also be careful if they happen to be close to any neighbors not to over shoot.

fishface
02-05-2006, 01:59 PM
i just shoot em with boiling water then at the same time...suck the remains back into the syringe. repeat and they never come back :)

Beverly
02-05-2006, 02:59 PM
You will get far better results by injecting the hot water into the aptasia with a needle tipped syringe. Even better to inject would be vinegar.

Shooting hot water, or any other substance, into the face of the aptasia is only going to annoy it, imo.

doch
02-05-2006, 08:01 PM
When I tried the hot water method, I blasted them repeatedly with it (not injected) and they just seemed to spread. Joe's juice works WAY better IMO.

Deathstar
02-06-2006, 04:40 AM
I had one of those things I picked up two Peppermint shrimps and they took care of it in a week.:mrgreen:

mark
02-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Well, the hot water method is not working for me, even injecting directly and giving more than 5cc of boiling water. Did a bunch yesterday and when I checked them tonight, they're out and react to touch though maybe a little slower.

Tried the vinegar, see if that works.

Quagmire
02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
I shot mine with Kalc paste,dead instantly.But Ive noticed no-one has sugested this method yet.Has it become unacceptable these days,due to the possible PH fluctuation?

mark
02-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Yep, vinegar works.

Ruth
02-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I believe that Joe's Juice is basically a kalk paste and although I have never used it I have heard that it works just fine.

danny zubot
02-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Using the hot water method only works with a larger volume of water. I use a turkey baster, and boiling water from a kettle. 100% success rate, plus they work better at sucking up the remains.

dirtyreefer
02-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I use the kalk paste too, as long as it's not too much (e.g. using a couple teaspoons in a small tank etc), it doesn't have any detrimental effects.

I shot mine with Kalc paste,dead instantly.But Ive noticed no-one has sugested this method yet.Has it become unacceptable these days,due to the possible PH fluctuation?

lil_clownfish13
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
i used a syringe and blasted them with boiling water and sucked them back up-- havent seen any since... haha anyone tried boiling vinegar?? :lol:

Quagmire
02-10-2006, 10:38 PM
I use the kalk paste too, as long as it's not too much (e.g. using a couple teaspoons in a small tank etc), it doesn't have any detrimental effects.
I had no problems with Kalk either.But I can picture someone new to the hobby unknowingly using a whole turkey baster worth on each one,and killing everything.But then again hot water would cause problems also, if too much was used.

mark
02-11-2006, 01:24 AM
1cc of vinegar (room temp) injected works on a lonnie size one. Don't think that amount will be doing anything to the chemistry (plus don't have kalk).

golden69_ca
02-11-2006, 06:23 AM
ph up from a hydroponic store i have found to be the ultimate for me

Skimmerking
02-11-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm seeing a pattern here. Lots of ways are going to work in killing the little buggers. One thing you have to look at
How to get rid of them.

Vinger
Joe's juice
Kalk paste
Peppermint shrimp
Boiling water
copperband butterfly or some other butterfly I have a threadfin and a kleins in my tank and they took care of them for me.

I think that any one of these will help out in our tank. What i did was started with one and then if that didnt work i moved to the next one. I have never tried Joe's juice.

mike