PDA

View Full Version : Hardy Tangs

Stab_Master_Arson
02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Can pople name some hardy tangs that would work in a FOWLR tank. There will be some soft corals in the tank over the next month.

I am looking for super easy tangs to maintain.

monza
02-04-2006, 12:22 AM
My Purple Tang has been hassle free. Regal and Powder Blues from what I've seen are Ich magnets. I think most tangs are easy to raise fish if they are not over crowded and have enough space.

Dave

kellehar
02-04-2006, 12:44 AM
yes monza is right regals do have ick but good luck getting one without it. Its just somthing they have and it shows itself when they get stressed. But I had mine for a year in a fowl and it never gave ick to any other fish.

Ruth
02-04-2006, 12:51 AM
IMO Yellow tangs are probably the hardiest but if mine is any indication they can be quite aggressive. I have had a hippo/regal tang for over a year and have never seen ich on it - or my yellow or Naso for that matter. The most difficult/finicky tangs are the Powder Blue, Achilles (but I want one anyway) and the Powder Brown. From what I have read they are all ich magnets. Naso tangs get very large. I have one in a 190g tank and it has to be 10" long and very fat. Great fish though with lots of personality and outgoing - will eat easily out of my hand. HTH

Willow
02-04-2006, 12:55 AM
kole tangs are fairly bullet proof and cheap if you get a healthy one. yellows, purples, scopas and chevrons are also fairly hardy. salfins and convicts do well but need bigger tanks. i would stear away from other acanthurus type tangs if your worried.

Chaloupa
02-04-2006, 02:50 AM
I have a Kole Tang in my reef and a Purple Tang in my FOWLR. Both have been problem free and stunning! I would recommend them both but the Kole is a bit bland looking. Has personality though.

Psyire
02-04-2006, 03:04 AM
If you get a good condition tang, and have good condition water. You shouldn't have a problem, especially if you have compatible tankmates and a large enough horizontal swimming space for the tang.

rickjames
02-04-2006, 05:08 AM
My Sohal has been trouble free, eats like a pig, doesn't bother anyone else (don't have any other tangs though), never had a disease, etc. But be warned they grow big and need a big tank.

muck
02-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Most Tangs require a lot of swimming room.
I wouldn't put any Tang in a tank with a footprint smaller than 48" x 18" personally.
If you must keep one in a tank with a smaller footprint size I would go with a small Yellow Tang.