PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy Silica Desiccant

Chin_Lee
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
I really should discontinue these group buys considering the failure rate of my previous group buy attempts, HOWEVER I'm persistent so I'm going to try another one.:lol:
This time it is for silica desiccant beads which is primarily used (by aquarists' purposes) to dry the air entering the air intake of an ozone generator or of the air pump providing an ozone generator with its air supply.
The company I'm looking to buy this from is: http://www.silicagel.net/index.asp
because their prices are the cheapest so far. I have tried making inquiries with 6-8 local companies and their prices varied from $33 to $55 per kg.

The product I'm interested in is the blue (to pink) indicating type.

Indicating (Blue) Type: In this type all the particles of Silica Gel are impregnated with an indicator. When free from moisture the particles are blue. As they are put to use, the particles take up moisture, Silica Gel gradually turns pink and gives a ready indication that it has done. Its work and requires replacement or regeneration.

The above product is free from foreign impurities such as Chlorides, Sulphates and organic matter and has high absorption efficiency.

Absorption efficiency increases under higher humidity, higher pressure and lower temperature. It can be regenerated by first keeping in sun light or heating to a temperature of 150 C. The product should not be heated to temperatures above 250 C as at this stage Silica Gel loses all of its water content, leading to a complete loss of all the properties of absorption.

It appears that the minimum order is 10 kg and that you can use this product over and over again by regenerating it at an oven temp of 150C.

COSTS:
The prices on the web site are in USD.
There is a $25 USD fee for handling.
Shipping is on top of the total cost. A sample of shipping cost calculated on Canada Post web site for a box of 30.00cm x 30.00cm x 30.00cm weighing 10Kg shipped from a Toronto postal code to my postal code is $22 Cdn.

So the APPROXIMATE sample cost per kg for a 10kg order is calculated as follows:

10kg of silica = $179.01 CDN
Handling fee = $ 25.00 CDN
Shipping = $ 22.00 CDN
Subtotal = $226.01 CDN
Divide by 10 = $22.60 per kg

If you are interested, please reply to this post with the number of KG you are interested in.

If you wish to get more information, please search the web and read the information provided on the web site because I only know as much about the product as provided on their web site.

Please note that it is understood that interested parties will have to pick up your items at my residence which is located in Newton area of Surrey (area of 144 Street /75 Ave) when delivered (my address will be provided if and when applicable). I do not wish to ship but if you are from out-of-town, I will hold the item until you decide to visit the Lower Mainland IF you send me the money in advance by:
1) cheque in the mail
2) email money transfer plus $2.50 (my bank does not participate with email money transfer therefore there is a $2.50 service fee)

When interests dwindles down, I will acquire the total cost and the break-down of total cost calculation will be PMed to each individual for your cost per kg.

Let the replies and numbers begin.

Chin_Lee
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
2 kg ...........

Psyire
02-03-2006, 11:17 PM
If you decide to ship, I would be in for atleast 1kg, maybe 2.

GobiGurl
02-04-2006, 07:16 PM
This product is available through major horticulture distributers as it is used when transplanting huge trees to ensure water retention. I checked into it last year and it was really quite cheap. I don't recall the name of the company that I talked to but I got the name from garden works if that helps. I can also inquire with our gardener at work who does a lot of major tree replacement in North Van. (Lot of bark eating tree huggers here), if you're interested.
Lynn

SuperFudge
02-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Im in for 2 Kg.

Chin_Lee
02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi Everybody
We are at about 8kg right now. If anybody else is interested, please advise soon as I'm looking to end this shortly.
Thanks

Ruth
02-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I'm looking to end this shortly

Chin something usually comes up to end your group buys long before you do!:biggrin:

Acro
02-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Wasn't me..

Chin_Lee
02-09-2006, 05:21 PM
this has ended. Purchase pending.
thanks
cwlee

SuperFudge
03-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Still microwavin my 21 grams of dessicant....Heeeeeelp !

Any ETA yet Chin ?

Chin_Lee
03-10-2006, 02:09 PM
marc
i get home today and i'll see. get back to you in 8 hours
Still microwavin my 21 grams of dessicant....Heeeeeelp !

Any ETA yet Chin ?

Chin_Lee
03-15-2006, 05:15 PM
marc
i get home today and i'll see. get back to you in 8 hours

ok that was a long 8 hours but it arrived yesterday. Check your PMs.
thanks
cwlee