PDA

View Full Version : brown heniochus won't eat.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I bought him a couple days ago and he wont eat..he slowly "drifts" around the tank but won't touch any food whatsoever. Is this common for a newly introduced heniochus.

Somebody please help

The reading are good but the nitrates are a bit high 15 ppm...but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Skimmerking
02-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I bought him a couple days ago and he wont eat..he slowly "drifts" around the tank but won't touch any food whatsoever. Is this common for a newly introduced heniochus.

Somebody please help

The reading are good but the nitrates are a bit high 15 ppm...but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Really anything over 0 PPM is a big deal to me.:rolleyes:

seashells
02-02-2006, 09:50 PM
What test kit? we had a Salifert that showed 25-50 every test. We finely tried other test kits and the readings were 0-15. Even had LFS test our water & theirs with the same results. It was a faulty kit. The LFS told us that up to 25 was ok. You could also try live brine shrimp or rotifers to try and stimulate a feeding response.

TheReefGeek
02-02-2006, 10:10 PM
What have you tried feeding it?

Stab_Master_Arson
02-03-2006, 05:10 AM
What have you tried feeding it?

I've tried plankton, mysis, flakes, pellets, and even angelfish preperations, soaked in garlic.

I think I will try shrimp like somebody here suggested.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-03-2006, 05:13 AM
What test kit? we had a Salifert that showed 25-50 every test. We finely tried other test kits and the readings were 0-15. Even had LFS test our water & theirs with the same results. It was a faulty kit. The LFS told us that up to 25 was ok. You could also try live brine shrimp or rotifers to try and stimulate a feeding response.

I am using a test kit from Aquarium Pharmeceuticals for both amnonia and nitrate. Other brands for nitrite, PH etc

Stab_Master_Arson
02-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Really anything over 0 PPM is a big deal to me.:rolleyes:

In a perfect world, yes but I have been told that anything up to 20-25 is "alright" but multiple people. Now mind you, even some damsels might not tollerate that high of nitrate, it all depends on the fish.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-03-2006, 05:16 AM
Oh..My cucumber etc are doing great, and would't they be the fist to feel the effects of a high nitrate tank?

seashells
02-03-2006, 05:38 AM
We drove ourselves nuts over tests. All Corals, clams, Fish & inverts looked good, but the nitrates tested throught the roof! It was a faulty test kit. Take a sample to your LFS to be sure.

Stab_Master_Arson
02-03-2006, 09:06 AM
We drove ourselves nuts over tests. All Corals, clams, Fish & inverts looked good, but the nitrates tested throught the roof! It was a faulty test kit. Take a sample to your LFS to be sure.

Will do. I am going to J&L tomarrow anyways to buy some rock.

Hes pretty much gone, hes propped up oagainst a rock but still breathing. I hate the helplessness. If it was a cat or dog I could take it to a vet....Fish are almost impossible to help. I just finished reading about that guys puffer that exploded..It is a bad feeling and having to watch you pet die. I think i am going to stay away from the more touchier fish for now since I only have about 1 1/2 years experience. I just have a peaceful community and you are limited in what you can have. Maybe I will go for a tang after i let my tank re-balance and I get the water tested.

Chin_Lee
02-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Will do. I am going to J&L tomarrow anyways to buy some rock.

Hes pretty much gone, hes propped up oagainst a rock but still breathing. I hate the helplessness. If it was a cat or dog I could take it to a vet....Fish are almost impossible to help. I just finished reading about that guys puffer that exploded..It is a bad feeling and having to watch you pet die. I think i am going to stay away from the more touchier fish for now since I only have about 1 1/2 years experience. I just have a peaceful community and you are limited in what you can have. Maybe I will go for a tang after i let my tank re-balance and I get the water tested.

some tangs are just as touchy as a heniochus. Ask and make sure you get a hardy tang. Stay away from powder blues/achilles/clown tangs as beautiful as they are.