PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus

prospero31
02-02-2006, 01:47 PM
So I was wandering around Richland WA last night with nothing to do and go into a LFS and what do they have, but 2 nautilus for sale ($170/each...cough). And someone I work with down here is standing there and happens to be the store owner (odd coincidence).

She said when they harvest these things, they bring them back up to the surface so fast that their air bladders are compromised. Very sad to see these wonderful animals that cannot dive below the surface of the water.

OCDP
02-02-2006, 02:17 PM
What are nautilus? Can you provide a picture?

muck
02-02-2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/google.gif

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_species/default.asp?hOri=0&hab=6&inhab=221

Tarolisol
02-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I feel bad for anyone who buys one since it will certinly die. Ive never seen one outside a aquarium.

jws444
02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
That's just not right. I hope no one buys it so that BA will take the hit on stocking an animal that MUST be left in the wild.

If someone buys it, I hope they have fun with a $170 shell to put on the bookshelf!

prospero31
02-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Was not the vendor identified by the previous poster - just to clarify. They were stocked at the request of a buyer (ie reefer just like you or me) - so on the ethical front, the consumer must bear some of the morale burden of the creature.

Interestingly, these creatures need a darkish tank with water temp in the high 60s. Not sure what else you would put in with them - they seem to eat whatever they come across. They are certainly nice lokoing animals.

reeferaddict
02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
That's just not right. I hope no one buys it so that BA will take the hit on stocking an animal that MUST be left in the wild.

If someone buys it, I hope they have fun with a $170 shell to put on the bookshelf!

You know, I appreciate everyone's concerns for conservation, but really now... let's get serious. The observations of one hobbyist/amateur marine biologist might be the key to ensuring ANY species long term survival when you consider that OUR species is coming to dominate the planet completely. If some of us DON'T grab the ball and study these types of creatures in captivity and learn how to care for them... then what will happen when their "natural" environment is stripped away by our own ever consuming human species?

While I don't advocate everyone running out and trying to keep these strange animals, I see no problem with a few people setting up species tanks, observing these guys in captivity, and reporting their findings to science. I'm sure the financial commitment required would cull out all but the most dedicated hobbyists anyways. When making such statements, let's all remember that 10 years ago keeping stony corals was viewed in the same manner, and 30 years ago keeping almost anything we currently do was the same. Without pioneers that thought "outside the box", we would all be limited to buying a new stock of clownfish every 6 months after they died... anybody remember those days? :neutral:

StirCrazy
02-03-2006, 12:14 PM
You know, I appreciate everyone's concerns for conservation, but really now... let's get serious. The observations of one hobbyist/amateur marine biologist might be the key to ensuring ANY species long term survival when you consider that OUR species is coming to dominate the planet completely. If some of us DON'T grab the ball and study these types of creatures in captivity and learn how to care for them... then what will happen when their "natural" environment is stripped away by our own ever consuming human species?

While I don't advocate everyone running out and trying to keep these strange animals, I see no problem with a few people setting up species tanks, observing these guys in captivity, and reporting their findings to science. I'm sure the financial commitment required would cull out all but the most dedicated hobbyists anyways. When making such statements, let's all remember that 10 years ago keeping stony corals was viewed in the same manner, and 30 years ago keeping almost anything we currently do was the same. Without pioneers that thought "outside the box", we would all be limited to buying a new stock of clownfish every 6 months after they died... anybody remember those days? :neutral:

we have been down this road befor several times and it doesn't cut it. the problemt is ~1% of the people in this hobby are doing it for your reasons, the rest of us are doing it because it is pretty and we can.

Steve

adidas
02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
She said when they harvest these things, they bring them back up to the surface so fast that their air bladders are compromised. Very sad to see these wonderful animals that cannot dive below the surface of the water.

hmmm from what I read they don't use an airbladder..

"To control its buoyancy, a nautilus pumps fluids in and out its shell chambers, which are connected by tubes called “siphuncles.”"