PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia help

JasonJ
02-01-2006, 04:16 AM
i saw what looks to be one. i dont want to take any chances.
how do i kill it?

sumpfinfishe
02-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Jason,

Search "aptasia" you should fine tons of past threads and info this topic.

seashells
02-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi Jason,

You can use a syringe filled with very hot water or Joes juice. I find the hot water works well.

Doug

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 02:52 PM
I second the Joe's Juice, only thing I have found that works well.

JasonJ
02-01-2006, 09:20 PM
so i leave the LR in? i dont have to take it out?
then just inject it with hot water?
do i poke the aptasia right through? or just squirt right above it?

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I have found leaving it in is easier because they stay "extended" easier.

If someone has a way of doing it taking it out, I would love to learn how.

seashells
02-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Just squirt the hot water directly above it for a few seconds. Use a 10cc syringe. It will shrivel up quickly. Sometimes it may need a second squirt.

Doug

JasonJ
02-02-2006, 07:51 AM
where do i buy a syringe?

Funky_Fish14
02-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Pharmacy. Explain to the pharmacist what you are doing, explaining them the entire wacked out reason should lead them to believe you arent a druggie, lol. They should give you a few. Or if you have a sick pet at the vet, ask for some extra syringes.

Chris

seashells
02-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Another good way is to explain to the pharmacist, is tell them you are trying to give medicine to one of your kids.

Tarolisol
02-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Medication to your kids with a huge ass needle, wow that might seem a little odd, id go with the truth, or go to a horse supply store, thats where i got my needles. Nice and big. i filled them with kalk and freshwater very high concentration and if you found my past post about aptasia, i had a huge problem, i am not aptasia free.

Johnny Reefer
02-03-2006, 12:53 AM
There are other types of syringes besides needle syringes. For example ...oral syringes. Just ask for a few of those, IMHO.

Cheers,:smile:

Tarolisol
02-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Ive tried absoultly everything to get rid of aptasia i had a serious problem hundreds of them, the only way i could get rid of them was a needle filled with high concentration of kalk. Joes juice is junk all it did was make them spread.

TheReefGeek
02-03-2006, 01:44 AM
How do you know Joe's Juice was the cause of them spreading? They spread quite well on their own, and I have had good success with Joe's Juice.

Invigor
02-03-2006, 02:26 AM
peavy mart sells syringes. or any livestock place for that matter...not sure what it's like over in AB but I'm sure there are a lot of farmer stores

Tarolisol
02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
How do you know Joe's Juice was the cause of them spreading? They spread quite well on their own, and I have had good success with Joe's Juice.

I know that joes juice was the cause in my case, i had the rock in a seperate tank with nothing else the aptasia was dosed with the juice and after a week there were almost 5 it close proximity. I think maybe if you were to inject the juice directly into the aptasia it might work better, but just feeding it seemed to **** it off.

TheReefGeek
02-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Interesting. Maybe they have adapted to it :mrgreen:

Willito
02-03-2006, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know if there is such a syringe with a 6" needle or longer?

lil_clownfish13
02-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know if there is such a syringe with a 6" needle or longer?

Maybe at some type of cattle supply store or something-- but i really doubt it as that is so long that the needle wouldn't insert into tissue properly-- it would just bend-- unless you are looking for a needle 6" long and the width of a pencil-- then in that case-- just sharpen a pen tube--- :lol:

You can attach airline hose or use some rigid tube found at Big Al's or LFS -- take a syringe with you and then fit it to the end-- thats probably your best option...

Willito
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
great idea, I didn't think of that. Now, which solution is the solution:mrgreen: , Kalk water or hot water? Off I go to find the world's smallest rigid plastic tube.

lil_clownfish13
02-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Yea-- definitely head to big als-- they have a pretty great selection of rigid tubing-- take your syringe with you-- u can usually get a decent fit-- as all generic dosage/purpose syringes have to fit into IV tubing in the hospitals, They will fit airline tube equally well... U can usually get a snug fit onto the end.

I'd go with hot water first, then if that don't work go the kalk route-- that way ur not adding extra jazz to your tank ;) jmo

best of luck nuking them!

tina

Willito
02-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Once you nuke them and they're dead, will the dead tissues spread to seed new one?

lil_clownfish13
02-03-2006, 04:38 PM
i couldnt tell ya... i wouldnt think so because if you cook the poop out of them they should be deader than doornails....

seashells
02-04-2006, 05:49 AM
The syringe is the body that holds the liquid. You can add a needle to the syringe but the hole in most cases will be too small. Even with a large gauge needle anything but the smallest particles will pass. Yes you can get needles of 6 inches. Better off to add a piece of plastic tubing to the syringe tip.

Doug