PDA

View Full Version : I Hope This Isn't Happening Again - short video

Beverly
01-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Was just looking at my two GBTAs and it looks like the main GBTA is throwing off another clone :shocked!:

There was a space in the rock between the two clones as since Saturday night. Now, there is part of the main GBTA filling in the space and that part is moving around like crazy (without the aid of a much water movement) :confused:

Have begun shooting a 30 second timelapse movie of the movements of the GBTAs until lights out to document what's actually happening. Will probably have a chance to work on a video for posting sometime tomorrow.

Gads!!!!!! I ONLY WANTED ONE GBTA! I'm going to have to rearrange that tank again soon :drinking:

Scavenger
01-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Darn the luck. Pay for 1 and get 3. Some people just can't win. <grin>

Myanth
01-31-2006, 10:31 PM
I could give you a hand if you're running out of space... I have a fair amount of room available in my 90 for rapidly breeding GBTA's.

Let me know if you're looking to free up some space.

Mike

Beverly
01-31-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm hoping the main GBTA is just moving over..... but at this point I can't be sure. Will keep my eye on the tank throughout the evening, even though we're gonna be watching "Copy Cat" with Sigourney Weaver tonight and eating CHOCOLATE :biggrin:

And, in our 67g with the RBTA and tomato clowns that had that huge scuffle over who got to "own" the RBTA, it appears that the winner clown may finally be letting the loser clown into the RBTA :) Too bad I don't have two cameras and two tripods to catch all the action.

OCDP
02-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Wow , split happy anemones.

Make some moolah off em :lol: (you know you could !)

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 02:40 AM
I see you are in Edmonton, if you have extras I have lots of room in my tank! :) PM me if you are interested in a trade of some sort.

What do you feed your GBTA if you dont mind me asking?

Beverly
02-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Am still trying to figure out if it has split again. Lights have been out for over an hour and still no clear sign of a split or if the main GBTA is moving over a bit.

Have a really cool timelapse film clip that I'm working with. Will finish it tomorrow. By then I'll know if there has been a split or not. Found some very cool music to go with the slowed down timelapse movie :biggrin: Even dear husband has a smile on his face wathcing the unfinished video :biggrin:

Not sure if I'm willing to part company with any of my GBTAs. If I am, I will post something in the Buy/Sell forum after I decide.

See y'all tomorrow!

Johnny Reefer
02-01-2006, 04:22 AM
... Gads!!!!!! I ONLY WANTED ONE GBTA! I'm going to have to rearrange that tank again soon :drinking:

Why would you have to do that?:confused:

Cheers,:smile:

Beverly
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Mark,

I would rearrange the tank so the THREEE GBTAs were not crowding each other the way they are right now. Plus, I think the clowns would like at least on GBTA to be lower in the tank.

Yup, I said THREE GBTAs :eek: Looked at them with a flashlight at 4 am this morning during an insomnia bout and saw three mouths in there. The main GBTA and the second clone have not yet split, though. Maybe later today or tomorrow they will be completely apart.

Jim Barry
02-01-2006, 03:56 PM
The insomnia bout was probably from waay too much chocolate

Beverly
02-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Definitely had too much chocolate last night, plus watched that really scary movie :razz:

But, no, I've had insomnia almost every night for the past several years, maybe even the last decade :sad: The only good thing about insomnia is that I get to check on my tanks in the middle of the night :smile:

GBTAs have still not split, but it looks like they're workin' hard at it. Camera is still rolling :biggrin:

Willow
02-01-2006, 04:22 PM
there must be a stressor in the tank that is making the bta's split?

OCDP
02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Not neccessarily. The user who sold the GBTA's said that these anemones split like crazy. His tank was beginning to fill up with clones. Sometimes it happens more in some than others.. I had some that split on me all the time.. it was pretty annoying (especially in a 20g)

Not saying that stress doesn't cause splits, though... I just heard these BTA's are pretty split-happy. And apparantley so....

BTW, I'll post pics of my new GBTA I got last night.. I am wondering whether or not it's a BTA now though. Doesn't look like one, and this thing is STICKY... real sticky. (sorry for the hijack, Bev)

Beverly
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
there must be a stressor in the tank that is making the bta's split?

I can't imagine what would be stressing the GBTA. Am doing all the normal stuff I usually do, weekly water changes and other tank maintenance, testing and adjusting chemistry, keeping water flow consistent, lighting is consistent. Haven't reaquascaped the tank for well over a month, and the GBTA has not moved since last reaquascaping.

Can't figure it out, except that this clone has been known to split often. That said, the other two clones two other Edmonton reefers got from the same guy at the same time have not split, as far as I know.

OCDP
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I read that frequent water changes and frequent feedings will get BTA's to split sooner. I can't remember where I've heard this.. but from more than one source though.

Beverly
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I've also read about people trying to get their BTAs to split by extra feeding and the BTAs just got bigger :confused:

If anything, I've been feeding less often than I was, say, a month ago.

OCDP
02-01-2006, 04:58 PM
It remains a mystery. Either way.. you know yourself the tank and tankmates are in good shape. That's all that matters. Isn't splitting also another form of reproduction for BTA's? Kind of like spawning... so maybe it should be looked at as a positive thing? Mysterious anemones.. :razz:

danny zubot
02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
It remains a mystery. Either way.. you know yourself the tank and tank mates are in good shape. That's all that matters. Isn't splitting also another form of reproduction for BTA's? Kind of like spawning... so maybe it should be looked at as a positive thing? Mysterious anemones.. :razz:

Reproduction yes, but don't forget survival. Anemone's are a very ancient and primitive creatures that only have a very basic perception of danger. that is why they are so difficult to understand. This particular anemone could be perceiving something in Bev's tank as a threat, so by splitting it will increase its chances of survival. IE: Survival in numbers; a flock of anemone's; perhaps a herd? colony?

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 06:41 PM
Same as with plate corals, once "scared" into reproducing they keep doing it.

Matt
02-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Was just looking at my two GBTAs and it looks like the main GBTA is throwing off another clone :shocked!:

There was a space in the rock between the two clones as since Saturday night. Now, there is part of the main GBTA filling in the space and that part is moving around like crazy (without the aid of a much water movement) :confused:

Have begun shooting a 30 second timelapse movie of the movements of the GBTAs until lights out to document what's actually happening. Will probably have a chance to work on a video for posting sometime tomorrow.

Gads!!!!!! I ONLY WANTED ONE GBTA! I'm going to have to rearrange that tank again soon :drinking:You're going to have the same problem soon that sourced our GBTAs in the first place! Aiptasia anemones don't propogate any faster than these things, apparently! Once you have 10 or more, you have to start farming them out! FWIW, mine hasn't split yet, but it is growing quite nicely.

Matt

Beverly
02-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Of course I'm going to ask for a pic for comparison, Matt :biggrin:

George, if you're out there, I'd like to see a pic of yours too :wink:

Danny, definitely a herd of anemones :D

Beverly
02-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Has not split yet, but have a short video of what it looks like this today during the splitting process...

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-2or3-gbta-fe-01-06.wmv
(320 x 240 pixels, 5.1 MB, 1:10 minutes)

Video of what it looked like the day after it split the first time, January 29, 2006....

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/v-gbta-split-ja-29-06.wmv
(320 x 240 pixels, 8.7 MB, 1:58 minutes)

geopod
02-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Bev,

We had talked about the BTA that I got from you and I mentioned that I thought it was splitting and I got excited that I was gonna have 2 of them. Then you said that it shouldnt and told me if the BTA is splitting that something is wrong with the water parameters so I was bumed on that idea thinking something is wrong with my tank.....So is it good for a BTA to split or not??I am confused now from what you said.

george

geopod
02-02-2006, 02:58 AM
bahhh humbug I figured out how to post a pic on the old site now I have probs again...But I do have pics

george

Beverly
02-02-2006, 02:31 PM
We had talked about the BTA that I got from you and I mentioned that I thought it was splitting and I got excited that I was gonna have 2 of them. Then you said that it shouldnt and told me if the BTA is splitting that something is wrong with the water parameters so I was bumed on that idea thinking something is wrong with my tank.....So is it good for a BTA to split or not??I am confused now from what you said.

George,

Did it split after we talked? Did you test alk, Ca, Mg, pH, salinity, etc?

Anyway, I didn't think it was so good to have your GBTA split so soon after getting it. I'm not thinking it's so good that mine split so soon, either, though I keep a pretty good (but not perfect!) eye on the chemistry in my reefs. And then to have it look like it's splitting again is really freaky for me :eek:

GBTA UPDATE AS OF THIS MORNING:

The first clone that had split from the main GBTA has now moved more into the empty area (see videos) that had been between the two GBTAs and is moving its tentacles quite agressively. The part of the main GBTA that appears to be splitting off has shrunken back from the other clone's aggression.

Wanted to see if I was imagining the second mouth on the part I think is splitting off, so I fed both the main GBTA and the part that is splitting off a bit of mysis this morning. Both ate separately, so I'm pretty sure the main GBTA is splitting again :confused:

The only problem now is that there isn't much room for the new clone to go since the first clone is behaving so aggressively. Oh, the drama!!

FURTHER UPDATE:

Used my trusty turkey baster to gently blow at the GBTAs to look at their feet. There are now three feet, so I'm confident there are now THREE GBTAs crowded in that relatively small area.

Looks like a tank rearrangement will be in the works in the very near future to separate these guys. Dang!!!!

OCDP
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
hahah the drama.. I am sure the anemones will sort things out between themselves.

kuatto
02-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Was wondering how big bubble tips get?I wouldn't mind getting one for my cube tank(instead of the huge colony of green hairy shrooms.)

OCDP
02-02-2006, 04:24 PM
They can get pretty big.. but that all depends. If you feed it lots, it grows faster (obviously..) If you have it under strong MH lighting, it tends to grow faster. I had one that was about the size of a grapefruit when fully expanded. Had to get rid of that bad boy... they can get fairly large.

kuatto
02-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Guess the 16" cube would be too small....hmmm,might have to get a bigger cube!!

Johnny Reefer
02-02-2006, 05:14 PM
.... Looks like a tank rearrangement will be in the works in the very near future to separate these guys. Dang!!!!

Can't you just move two of them?:confused:
I still don't understand why you are faced with rearranging the tank.:confused:

Thanx much and cheers,:smile:

OCDP
02-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Jim,

I am sure if you found yourself a nice smaller sized clone under some PC lighting it would do great. It will grow slower this way (under PC) with once a week feedings. It can be done.

I have kept 4-5 BTA's in my 20g at one time before (clones) It can definately be done !

Cheers (Again.. sorry for the hijack Bev)

Beverly
02-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Can't you just move two of them?:confused:
I still don't understand why you are faced with rearranging the tank.:confused:

I might be able to move two of them, but then I'm faced with moving the other corals to different locations so the GBTAs have room to grow and spread. And if there aren't enough safe new locations for those corals, I will have to rearrange the rock to create those locations.

Right now the rock with the RBTAs is in a pail with heater, very low light and a small powerhead pointed at the water's surface for aeration. Hoping this kind of low level stress will help dislodge them from the rock so I can put them back separately in the tank.

Plus, the second clone has not completely detached from the main RBTA and they are still partially joined at the foot. Could only see that once the rock was out of the water and upside down :neutral: Hoping the pail treatment will help them separate, as well.