PDA

View Full Version : Fish Store Reviews

prospero31
01-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Hey what's the rationale behind censoring all of these types of articles? For new reefers, much of the information is salient to their knowledge and enjoyment of the hobby.

Doug
01-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Hey what's the rationale behind censoring all of these types of articles? For new reefers, much of the information is salient to their knowledge and enjoyment of the hobby.

We once had a vendor review forum, as many boards do or once did. Many times they ended up in arguments from both the aquarists posting and even vendors themselves. Also one persons views or certain vendor experience,s does not neccessary apply to all who use that particular vendor.

Its also became a problem with sponsers on many of the boards. It was decided that the best way to aleviate these problems was to do away with the vendor comment forums.

Thanks

Delphinus
01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
We don't allow vendor reviews anymore. The problem with reviews is that it's subjective, based on personal experieces which will vary greatly between individuals, and very frequently quickly descends into chaos that is a headache to sort through.

That said, it doesn't take much experience in the hobby to figure out where people are shopping, and to form their own opinions. I'm sorry if this feels like censorship but basically it has to be this way to keep the flame wars to a minimum.

Stab_Master_Arson
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
I guess this is directed at my thread that got closed :redface:

Sorry.

Delphinus
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
No need to apologize, you didn't know... :)

prospero31
02-01-2006, 12:55 AM
It was a pretty good write up actually. I did not know there was a certain LFS in Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge that was actually decent as opposed to another unnamed store also in the area on which I would agree with the original author's opinion

Stab_Master_Arson
02-01-2006, 02:45 AM
It was a pretty good write up actually. I did not know there was a certain LFS in Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge that was actually decent as opposed to another unnamed store also in the area on which I would agree with the original author's opinion

Thanks. The store in Maple ridge can't compare to aspecialty joint like J&L but it is a nice little operation.

Unamed store LOL...I guess the super-newbies will have to learn the hard way. :biggrin:

Diana
02-01-2006, 05:39 AM
Here's a little "moderate" Lower Mainland directory of some pet stores with our opinion of them... mainly for African Cichlids though.

:P
http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1711

Johnny Reefer
02-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Just for the record if I may...King Ed's is in Burnaby, and I believe Winston sold Pet Boutique. The store is still there, just not Winston's anymore.

Cheers,:smile:

Diana
02-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Bah minor details! :p

Yeah its a little outdated ;) But we still go to Pet Boutique (mainly for crickets) and have talked with the new owner, he seems nice enough :D

-Diana

Johnny Reefer
02-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Bah minor details! :p

Yeah its a little outdated ;) But we still go to Pet Boutique (mainly for crickets) and have talked with the new owner, he seems nice enough :D

-Diana Minor to most, I agree. But I wouldn't want to be an out-of-towner trying to find King Ed in Vancouver. Just trying to save someone some grief is all, should that occur.
As for the other detail, just thought I'd mention it while I was at it. Good to hear the new owner is working out.:smile:

Cheers,

(PS Gad, I hate being limited to four smilies!)

GobiGurl
02-04-2006, 07:49 PM
The guy there is nice. Its expensive for him to rent that location. He would love to get more salt stuff in and he's totally open for trades, apparently they're getting a big shipment in in the next week or so.
:)

Lynn