PDA

View Full Version : Building stand for large tank

Jason McK
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a lot of great suggestions already, but thought I'd ask.
I'm building a stand for a 78X36X30 tank. My carpentry skills are lacking in an extreme way, but I'm going ahead anyway.

I was thinking about notching the corners and using 4X4s any suggestion or links would be very helpful.

Jason

lil_clownfish13
01-31-2006, 05:04 PM
My dad built me a stand and used metal brackets to brace the corners of the stand (it was only for a 66) but he used solid oak to do it (to make it stronger) and built bracing inside it as well. I wish i had a picture to post for you-- just dont use junky plywood or chipboard-- it gets wet...and thats it...Oh and also-- mine was a cabinet style stand-- so flat on top, flat on bottom (to distr. weight) and then a 2 cabinet setup underneath--

sorry to be long winded-- but maybe try the metal brackets... insurance etc.

woodcarver
01-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Just a thought on stands for large tanks,has anyone used the torsion box principle . ( info on web)? I used this method to construct a work bench and saw table which are immensely strong and rigid. It involves a frame of say 2x4with a skin of plywood glued and screwed to the frame on both sides. the stresses are distributed over the full length and width of the construction not just on the 'legs'. I also used 1/2 inch threaded rod to bolt the frame together. The resulting ' box' ,which can have an open front, is incredibly strong and immovable but can be broken down if needed.
................Dave

Biotech
01-31-2006, 06:27 PM
I did similar construction as Woodcarver for my 125gal (72"X21"X18") and that was almost 3 yrs ago. Still stand perfectly square and steady. For the frame, I used pretreated 2"X4" and galvanized screws (those used for construction) and coated each nail head with a dap of silicone.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 07:24 PM
Is this new tank going into a wall/fish room, or is it stand alone? That will make a difference for the stand.

kari
02-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Laminated wood is more suitable for a equal dimension then solid wood. Eg. plywood or 2-2x4 laminated is better then using a 4x4 solid piece of wood.

GMGQ
02-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Yeah I did something like that. I glued, screwed, bolted, and caulked this thing:

http://www.auphanonline.com/gallery/index.php?cat=1&album_id=1330&page=89

Just a thought on stands for large tanks,has anyone used the torsion box principle . ( info on web)? I used this method to construct a work bench and saw table which are immensely strong and rigid. It involves a frame of say 2x4with a skin of plywood glued and screwed to the frame on both sides. the stresses are distributed over the full length and width of the construction not just on the 'legs'. I also used 1/2 inch threaded rod to bolt the frame together. The resulting ' box' ,which can have an open front, is incredibly strong and immovable but can be broken down if needed.
................Dave

mark
02-01-2006, 03:43 AM
Alway seeing pictures of massive stands, here a light weight version for 400g.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2753560#post2753560

Jason McK
02-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone.

The stand will not be inwall even though it will be a wall I do not plan on framing in the wall

J

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
That sounds like a riddle.... Its a wall but not a wall!

Jason McK
02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Ya kinda. The tank is 6.5 feet long and the opening is 8 feet so it isn't worth building a wall for 9 inches on either side. I may build 9 inch shelves I can slide in and out

J

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
But what about above and below the tank? I think a tank looks great when it is built into a wall with some nice trim around it. Then a couch looks great underneath it it, and makes for easy sitting an viewing.