PDA

View Full Version : Need help Dying SPS

howdy20012002
01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
One of the tanks that i bought came with some SPS
one of them is doing great
the other, well not so great
This morning i noticed that it was starting to bleach white in some spots
is there anything i can do to stop this?
or anything i can do to salvage some of this coral?
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Neal

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 05:55 PM
We need some more details about your tank to assist you. We need to find out why the SPS is dieing. In the meantime, if you have multiple tanks, you could try transplanting it to a different tank if there is a more appropriate setup for it.

Lighting?
Filtration?
Water flow?
Water tests?

Raf
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
temperature?

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but is that a green clown goby in your picture?

OCDP
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
(it is)

SPS will die or decline in health for a number of reasons... definately need ALL your tank paramaters...

start with the basics... ammonia,nitrate,nitrite. then go calcium, alk, pH, temperature, salinity. lighting... any corals near the SPS?

any sudden changes in the tank? it's hard to pin-point what happens to SPS .. they are so picky and fragile most times.

vanreefer
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
I agree more info required... SPS are put off by change...any change :rolleyes: test water, any changes in lighting ( duration intensity) new fish corals around it, anything you can think of? how long has the tank been setup?

Xtasia
01-31-2006, 10:56 PM
One of the tanks that i bought came with some SPS

sounds like you just bought a tank second hand from someone, and it came with some SPS corals... In this case, it could have been stress from the move (it's cold outside!), stress from the tank resetting its cycle at it's new established location, water parameters unstable and undesirable due to stirring up the sandbed, and live rock in the move.

I would test the water parameters.. but don't go messing with the chemistry (too fast) because in an effort in bringing the water to the "correct" parameters too drastically you might make the corals even more stressed.

I dunno if this helps.... I'm making assumptions because there isn't much to go on.

Did I mention I hate SPS for this reason. boo colored stix.

Xtasia
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
also.. to salvage. .Fragging when the SPS starts to RTN might save a portion of it...

something to consider when things get dire.

Raf
01-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but is that a green clown goby in your picture?

why yes it is ;)

howdy20012002
02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
the tank that they were put into is all good
the other SPS is fine and doing well
I know that a couple of corals cam e into contact with it, so maybe it got stung or something.
how do i go about fragging it to try to save some?
thanks
Neal

muck
02-01-2006, 12:12 AM
Which corals came into contact with it?
Any LPS by chance?

howdy20012002
02-01-2006, 12:25 AM
yep..some rice bubble
i have noticed that my hammer coral is very aggressive around anything else in the area..almost like it is reaching out to touch them.
Can hammer coral hurt zoos by touching them?
thanks
Neal

muck
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Sounds to me like it has been stung then as previously mentioned. Keep an eye on the white patchs. Make sure they get good water flow and if they do not get larger don't worry about it. They will heal. If it starts to rapidly lose more tissue then frag the begeesus out of it. :wink:

richtg
02-01-2006, 01:20 AM
IMO, the first (and easiest) things to check are: temp not too high (78-80 is ok-lights on-), salinity around 0.025 (borrow a refractometer), and good water flow. What and how much do you feed? Lights? Nitrate, nitrite, amm., PO4,... Test test test. If any results don't seem right, borrow a different test kit to verify. If a babysitter can save a coral, it is mucho worth it too.

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Also, what kind of top off water are you using? tap? distilled? RO? RODI?

howdy20012002
02-01-2006, 03:57 AM
actually, i don't think that it has ever really recovered from the move here from Claresholm where i picked up the tank and the corals.
The temp is around 82 right now cuz i turned it up to help get rid of ick on my Regal Tang. But the previous owners had their tank at 82 all the time as well..so i dunno
the other one is doing great
i have like 2000 gallons per hour flow in a 90 tank...lots of movement and i have 2 400 MH and 2 110 w VHO Act
the parameters are all fine
I use tap water that i treat with prime.
Everything else is the tank is doing great
So i don't know
Neal

saltynuts
02-01-2006, 04:09 AM
hope you did not crank that heater up fast and are doing it slow.
heat them up to fast and your asking for trouble.
and look at getting an ro unit! or buy bottled water.

Joe Reefer
02-01-2006, 04:24 AM
salinity around 0.025 (borrow a refractometer),
salinity should be around 1.025 to 1.026

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 04:28 AM
Definately get away from treated tap water. RO or RODI unit is cheapest in the long run, you can buy distilled from the grocery store until then.