PDA

View Full Version : ETSS Reef Devil

Sushiman
01-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Wow, I take it back. I've owned this little downdraft for awhile & quite frankly I had come to regret the purchase. It was finicky, unpredictable, quite frankly I thought I had blown yet another wad of change. Originally I had it set up in sump as the manufacturer recommended. They claimed it would be uneffected by varying water levels, but for the most part it became an expensive airiation device. With my tank upgrade I decided to take the little bugger out of the sump completely, which would now become a refugium. I decided to give it one last chance to avoid the scrap heap & I'm glad I did.
I'm running a Mag 7, original injector that I crimped, & I sealed the injector housing with multiple layers of packing tape (ugly, but this skimmer was not getting another dime out of me) & plumbed the whole thing externally & well above the sumpline.
It has finally lived up to it's name, it is a great little scum-sucker now & is pulling the same quality & quantity of filth that I've seen a Bullet 1 on a similar system.
I'm glad I gave it one last chance.

Sushiman
05-26-2006, 05:56 AM
update: an okay little skimmer; but definately outdated when you compare it to what's out there now (ER, etc). I would keep it on a smaller tank <75gal. I am retiring mine & upgrading.

Sushiman
06-11-2006, 06:31 AM
It's running like a true beast now on a Mag 12 & externally plumbed well above sump water level. Very finicky to dial in, but once "happy" she is skimming better than ever before. Shuts down @ feeding as expected but starts up again very shortly (even after oily silversides). I'm actually impressed, after all this time it's finally acting like a real skimmer, who knew! At the current rate, I'll need to empty & clean the skimmer twice a week (dry foam). I got over one cup of nasty filth after the first 24 hours.