PDA

View Full Version : refractometers

saltynuts
01-31-2006, 04:06 AM
who at the reef meet said their is a place in the city you could get one for like 44 bucks. i would like to find the place any help!

howdy20012002
01-31-2006, 04:23 AM
hey Ed
i dunno about where u can find one for that money...hopefully someone does...cuz that is one hell of a deal.
Neal

michika
01-31-2006, 04:44 AM
I thought it was a 3 letter name...sorry thats about all I remember!

Murminator
01-31-2006, 04:45 AM
who at the reef meet said their is a place in the city you could get one for like 44 bucks. i would like to find the place any help!

:shocked!: If you find one at that price grab 1 for me of call me and I will pick one up

J.Lloy
01-31-2006, 08:15 AM
I thought it was the masked reefer, i could just be thinking that since he was useing the one at the meet.

tbone
01-31-2006, 02:55 PM
i would like one as well. let me know. :)

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
That would be fantastic!

J.Lloy
01-31-2006, 05:06 PM
if someone does find that place that was selling low. try and see what price they give for more, cause it sounds like everyone is interested...especially after we saw the difference in the other test...

saltynuts
01-31-2006, 05:10 PM
i got him now! i think tcollin!

Murminator
01-31-2006, 05:49 PM
if someone does find that place that was selling low. try and see what price they give for more, cause it sounds like everyone is interested...especially after we saw the difference in the other test...

GROUP BUY !!!!

Joe Reefer
01-31-2006, 06:13 PM
I bought one of these:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/testkits.php?product_ID=t-cprefact
I am very pleased with it, and its not hard to make your order over a 100 bux for free shipping.

muck
01-31-2006, 06:16 PM
I bought one of these:
http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/details/testkits.php?product_ID=t-cprefact
I am very pleased with it, and its not hard to make your order over a 100 bux for free shipping.
You need $200 for free shipping Lando. :mrgreen:

Joe Reefer
01-31-2006, 06:27 PM
You need $200 for free shipping Lando. :mrgreen:
My bad, still not hard to do.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 06:30 PM
I wish I could keep it under $200 when I order from there!

Didn't know they had a refractometer though, and a pretty good price. LFS here in Edmonton sells for $100.

howdy20012002
01-31-2006, 07:14 PM
i just got one off ebay, brand new for 24.95 USD.
However, i think i lucked out cuz the next closet one is 44.95 plus shipping ( that is for buy it now)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Salinity-Refractometer-Hydrometer-4-Aquarium-Ponds_W0QQitemZ7739879093QQcategoryZ20755QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

not really worth it unless a package deal for the shipping if it was a group buy

howdy20012002
01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
here is a store you might find interesting
http://stores.ebay.com/National-Industrial-Supply

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 07:19 PM
That is a LOT of refractometers! Probably easiest to buy from JL, their shipping rates are really cheap.

howdy20012002
01-31-2006, 07:25 PM
just giving people some options
I only bought one becuz it was so cheap.
I think JL is a great store. Their prices are hard to beat. The only bad thing about them is that there isn't one in edmonton.
They are probably definitely the way to go with a group order for people
3 people get one and bam..free shipping.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Edmonton could definately use one, I have thought about asking if they would be interested in a Franchise venture, but I would want others to start up with, share the risk. I don't think the pricing could be quite as good either, because of the extra shipping costs, but would be a heck of a lot better than any other store in Edmonton.

I have been to JL, it is a surprisingly small store, the tanks looked very well maintained, and their display tank with a tunze wavebox is amazing to watch the water flow, mimics tides very well.

Murminator
01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah I was kinda shocked when I went there also I was picturing something huge like Home Depot. I was also shocked going to King Ed's I didn't know you could pile so much into such a little place.

tcollin
01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Yes, I'm the guy that brought it up at the meet and set Ed off. I'm sorry. I checked with my old boss to find out exactly how much the beast was, and it turns out it was the test end that was around 50 bucks. The body was about $400, but tha'ts because it has to survive a mechanic's TLC. I called J&L, and the gentleman I spoke with said that if there was a large order (10 or more) he should be able to do something about the per unit price. An order of 4, and shipping is covered. anyone? anyone?

Dave

kids. reef. so many toys, so little money.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Would they have to be shipped to the same location though?
Im in Edmonton

saltynuts
01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
find out how much and i am in! iam sure their will be more than ten so whos in

tcollin
01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
---Moving this over to "next meet" thread---

Just to get that out of the way right off the bat. I called J&L back, and asked "what would the per-unit price massage be for ordering 10 or more units? " and he said "I can give you 10 percent per unit." so that works out to about $58.45 before taxes per unit. So if youse guys wants a group order, come up with some names. I'm sure Ed has a credit card he is dying to melt to get this stuff here faster.

On a side note, I asked the same fine gentleman if they might be interested to send us some demo equipment that we can play with and do "show and tell" at the next meeting. he said to email him, as they had never been asked that before. let me know what kind of toys you would like to see, and Ed can't ask for big toys. stuff that is cool that you might not think of having in your setup, or maybe stuff you have that others don't. And it has to be easy to ship. So it has to be smaller than Ed's head.

Dave

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm in for 1. With tax is like $62.50, i'll go $65 cause that is just easier.

Cool gadjets hey? If I think of anything I will post it.

Murminator
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
whoa your name it Dave?.....I thought it was Colin?....who is Colin from Clareview? I owe him some xenia I sold his to "Dave" who I thought was Colin :redface:

Checked PM's found him. Well "Dave" hope the xenia is doing good LOL

tcollin
02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Murray, I'm the Dave that got the Xenia. They seem to be enjoying their little spot in my tank.

whoa your name it Dave?.....I thought it was Colin?....who is Colin from Clareview? I owe him some xenia I sold his to "Dave" who I thought was Colin

tcollin
02-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Also posted in the buy/sell forum

Got a call from Josh at Marine Aquatica. He said he had an order coming in today, so he had some refractometers thrown in. They are here, and they are $60.00. He said he also has a whack-load of new corals. Give him a call to get one, or if y'all would rather he could bring them to the next meet. What say ye? Ed? Murminator?

No, I am not afilliated with Marine Aquatica, nor have I ever bought anything from Josh. Although this is something I'm going to have to remedy.

Dave

TheReefGeek
02-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Where is this place, and what is the number?

tcollin
02-04-2006, 03:42 AM
titus (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1) images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("articlemenu_2", true);
Administrator
Score: 1
Hits: 89
Visits: 2

Enlightening Solutions Ltd. provides a grand host of products and services. We offer services ranging from the "all inclusive let us handle it packages" to the "call us if you need a random product or tid-bit of advice" service. No matter if your just getting your hands wet or they’re pickled by now, give us a call / email if you have any questions about what we can do for the products and services you need (or just want because wouldn’t that be great!).

Contact
Joshua Jones - Owner
Phone:
(780) 886-1159
Fax:
(780) 487-0149 (phone or email preferred)
Email:
info@marineaquaria.ca (info@marineaquaria.ca)
Mail:
Enlightening Solutions Ltd.
434 Walker Rd.
Edmonton, AB T5T 2X2
Canada

TheReefGeek
02-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Thanks Collin, I have e-mailed him.

Joshua Jones
02-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey people,

Just thought i would get you guys all the info you need from the source so there are no miscommunications:

When Dave called to place the order for ~12 refractometers i was mistakenly under the impression that they would be picked up by a member as a whole order, or perhaps two half orders.

Here are our options from this point for a whole order group buy:

1. I am 'able' to bring the refractometers to the group meet but would rather not because of scheduling etc. I have 13 in stock and would be willing to sell for $60 cash ea. x 12 = $720 (calculated to include the GST) if someone wants to p/u the package as a whole.

2. If the cash is hard to get a hold (since people will be paying you back etc.) I will accept 12 x $62 = $744 if you want to pay via paypal (this covers visa transaction costs etc.)

If sold individually (quantities less then 12) these are our options:

3. p/u at my door; $65 cash / $69 paypal

4. Drop off at meet; min 6 committed - $65 cash / $69 pre-paid paypal

I apologize for any inconvenience, however transaction costs are too high
for me to deliver in a high service style at the reduced price.

let me know if i am either unclear or if you have any questions;

thanks, i apologize if there was any confusion.. i haven't had the time 'till now to clear things up.

Joshua

p.s. I have lots of coral in stock. If you (plural) are interested in high quality and are not willing to pay retail pricing i suggest you get a possy together and set an appointment -- best is saturday. At low quantities you can expect retail pricing and superior product. At high quantities you can expect more of internet based pricing system, but you can actually see the product first!! Might i add no box charge, heat pack charge, ice pack charge (food & dt's), shipping charge...

to give you and idea:
asst. coloured bali acro frags: $99 ea. or; 3 for $89, 5 for $79, 10 for $69, 15+ for $59 ea. (medium)
asst. Coloured / Coloured Polyp Stylo: 1 for $89, 3 for $79, 5 for $69, 10+ for $59 ea. (medium)
also in stock; asst. blasto, ricordia, brains (worm and open), blue, red, purple, mushrooms...

I'll have a list on my site up sooner or later. Call / email if your interested.

pps. Please email me at joshuaj@ualberta.ca since this email address is more accessable and you will get faster service this way then sending me a pm or emailing info@marineaquaria.ca.