PDA

View Full Version : Sump? or Hang-on-tank?

Go Lions!
01-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi everyone... which in your opinion would be more quiet? a Remora pro haning on a tank skimmer. Or an Aqua C - EV180 skimmer sitting in a 20gal sump under a tank with a 600gal/hr flowrate into/out of the sump. The last one natually sounds like the louder choice, however it would be enclosed in the cabinet. Anyone with experience with sumps, or better yet, ALL-GLASS MEGAFLOW Overflows!!! please reply. Desperately trying to hide the ugly maylay of plumbing/heaters/pumps/skimmer/etc. But CAN'T SACRIFICE A QUIET OPERATION. Thanks!

seashells
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Well we have the Remora Pro. We had the option to go with a sump and now wish we did. The Remora is really good but it requires more attention when running with the preskimmer. Plugs up frequently (snails) and sensitive to small changes in water levels. Also when it is skimming hard it is not that quiet. The sump I think would be a better choice for 75 gal or larger. Looks cleaner and easier to maintain. I think we are looking at changing over to a sump in the near future.

Doug

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 05:51 PM
The remora pro is a great skimmer for a hang-on model, you can't go wrong if you go that route.

BUT, AquaC does not make the best (although they are good) in-sump skimmers IMO, so if you do go with an in-sump skimmer check out some other brands.

There are ways to run a very quiet overflow setup. Mod the overflows with Durso standpipes, and use a smaller return pump to limit the noise from water going into the overflow. Airline tube in the plumbing can also help limit gurgling by allowing air to escape. Submerge the drain line in the sump a couple inches to limit noise as well, and make sure there are no really large differences in water levels between baffles, and keep the return section of the sump topped up so you dont get much noise from falling water. Benefit to a sump is that you can insulate the cabinet as well.

With the above recommendations, i think you should find that your fans for your lighting make more noise than the rest of the tank.