PDA

View Full Version : what food to use?

fishguyxd
01-31-2006, 02:46 AM
I have been using some flake(tetra marine) ,mysis,cyclop-peeze,frozen mixed brine etc mix for my fish.
I was wondering what others are using for food what brand or (floating or sinking) pellets.

Also what is the main type of foods for the corals Ie(reef-roids) sample pack for filter feeder etc other corals

anyone use livefood for anything?

any info would be helpful

I looking at changing up some of the food and just looking at what's working for everyone.

thanks in advance

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-31-2006, 03:08 AM
For live foods, many of us in the Lower Mainland used to raise live rotifers, but it is a PITA. I think hatching out some bbs (baby brine shrimp) once in a while is a nice treat for the corals. Lots of us are now switching to try this reef-roids product.

Go Lions!
01-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Keeping the balanced diet is key. Frozen Mysis shrimp are a decent choice for a main staple, however I'd only use brine shrimp in case of a picky eater or new tank inhabitant that is not feeding in order to get him to eat at least something... As brine shrimp are like fish "candy" and they have very little to no actual dietary value. Another good choice that I use is a (very tasty) pellet by Ocean Nutrition called Formula 2. That is loaded with veggie and green matter. This stuff is excellent and is eaten by ALL inhabitants of my tank. I would stay away from Ocean Nutrition frozen foods however, as they are the consistency of porage and just break up into liquid once it gets into the water. Frustrating. I also use frozen bloodworms from time to time.. Another product I use is by Kent Marine called "Zoe". It is quite like a fish food "marinade", that you soak it in for a few hours to get the food crammed full of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, amino-acids, etc... That is very healthy and doesn't seem to through the taste off of the original meal that much either... Although a better answer could be had if you tell us what kinds of fish you are keeping. Good luck!

Ruth
01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
I feed formula 1 and 2 in both flake and pellet form. I also mix up my own mash of various shell fish like shrimp, scallop, crab, oysters, some white fish and squid and then throw in some cyclopeeze, mysis, nori, formula 1 and 2, garlic, selcon, oyster eggs and blend it all up fairly chunky, put it in zip lock bags and freeze it (laying the bag flat). I basically use whatever I can find at the grocery store, soak it in some RODI water in case it has anything added to it or sprayed on it. I blend it with a couple of ice cubes made from RODI water then add frozen stuff like cylopeeze, mysis etc. and freeze again right away. The reason I use the ice cubes is so that I get a kind of slushy so my already frozen food does not thaw out too much before I re-freeze it.

Denis
01-31-2006, 04:55 AM
I do exactly what Ruth does.
Superstore has frozen "Seafood Medley" by Seaquest that has scallops, octopus, shrimp and mussels in small package that lasts me about 3 months.

AndyL
01-31-2006, 05:14 AM
NLS pellets, marine fish formula & finicky fish formulas... Bit of cyclopeeze and a whole lotta mysis.

Andy

tbone
02-03-2006, 05:09 AM
just got O.S.I flakes and my fish goes nuts on.
never seen this before it's like a race. they didn't like the frozen food i was giving them. werid.