PDA

View Full Version : New Salt Recommendation

OCDP
01-30-2006, 02:35 PM
I was thinking of trying a new brand of salt.. I've heard Kent salt is pretty good. I am using IO right now.. just seeing what the general opinion is on salts.. do I stick with the same brand, or does anyone think theres a brand worth switching over to? Thanks.

Skimmerking
01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Tropic Marine salt is really good too. I like it...

Ruth
01-30-2006, 03:47 PM
I am in the process of switching salts to Tropic Marin Pro for most tanks and Seachem for another. See my thread in product review.

SJSobczyk
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
I switched to ReefCrystals about 6 months ago and i couldnt be happier. Its also a bonus that it is fairly easy to find in the city....cough cough Golds.

Steve

OCDP
01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks so far guys. I am leaning towards the Kent just because I have heard good things, it's locally available, price is right..etc. But if someone can convince me otherwise..... :razz:

Thanks again,

sumpfinfishe
01-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Scott,

It's all personal preference for most people as some brands have higher trace elements or calcium.
After 8yrs of using IO I switched over to Kent because it was mixing up at 400ppm of calcium where as IO was only mixing up to around 320ppm.
There are several reviews out there on salt brands so I would suggest choosing one and sticking with it for a few months before you make any type of conclusion. Also some tanks have reacted poorly to a switch in salts due to the change in parameters. Try searching this board or RC for a detailed look at salt mixes, the article is called the S-15 report.

OCDP
01-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks a bunch Rich. The reason I am thinking of switching is because I find my CA and ALK arent the greatest... I battle to keep CA in check as well. Alk isn't as much a problem.

I was just trying to get a feel of what everyone seems to prefer, but so far it seems pretty varied.

Thanks again.
Scott