PDA

View Full Version : Does your kalk turn yellow after a while?

Delphinus
01-30-2006, 05:54 AM
The kalk powder in my kalk mixer/reactor always turns yellow after a week or two.

I've always taken this as a sign to take apart the kalk reactor, clean it out with some vinegar, and refill it.

.. which is kind of a pain. Most people I've spoken to seem to let their kalk reactors go for months without a cleaning, just add a bit of kalk powder every so often.

So I guess my question is are others getting the yellowing, or is it a sign I'm getting air in there or something and rendering the kalk less effective and less dissolvable?

Willow
01-30-2006, 05:10 PM
i take it your not using a pure brand name kalk? i used to to use repackaged pickling lime from oa and it always went yellow/brown after a few weeks. i switched back to kent kalk and its stays crisp and white, i never clean the reactor anymore. i don't think you save much money in the long run using pickling lime.

Delphinus
01-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Yep ... using Mrs. Wages or whatever it's called. Have probably 2 or 3 tins of the stuff still I was hoping to maybe use up but it's taking forever to go through. I suppose if I just start dumping a bunch into the reactor and then discarding it after a week each and every week that might help speed things up a bit... or maybe I should just give up and buy some of the nicer stuff.

Anyhow, thanks, guess that explains that one..