PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin Pro salt

Ruth
01-29-2006, 09:07 PM
The thread in the reef forum got me thinking about what my newly mixed up water was testing at particularly since I am in the process of switching salts. My 230, 44, 24 and 12 I am switching to Tropic Marin Pro salt and for my 190 I am using the new Seachem Reef Salt. I don't have any of the Seachem mixed up as I did a water change on Thursday but do have 10g of Tropic Marin that has been mixed and aggitating for about 12 hours. Temp. is 79 degrees and SG is 1.026 - here are the results

Calcium: 480
Alk/hardness: 8.6
Mg.: 1410

The calcium is a little higher than I would like so will have to watch my readings and maybe adjust my reactor accordingly but overall not too bad.

When I mix up a batch of the Seachem on Wednesday I will test it and post results as well for those that are interested.

dirtyreefer
01-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Where did you get the Tropic Marin Pro salt? I didn't think that stuff was readily available up here in Canada, and I've also heard it's expensive.

Ruth
01-29-2006, 09:32 PM
I ordered it from Reef Perfections out of Ontario and it was $99.00 a 200g pail. I ordered 8 pails of it and they guy that owns or runs it has a sister that lives in the lower mainland and is a long distance truck driver so it all shipped for $50 total. I picked it up when I was down in Vancouver at Christmas.

dirtyreefer
01-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Ahh cool, I've heard good things about this salt on RC for reefs. I didn't think it could be purchased locally :p

RonPeter
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know if it's availible in Edmonton anywhere? Thanks.

Ruth
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
FWIW I have also heard good things about the new Seachem reef salt so I will test that this week and post results.
I was definately impressed with the TM salt and think I might try and order some more and see if it can get delivered to Vancouver again so I can pick it up when I come back from holidays in the middle of March.

Ruth
01-30-2006, 12:22 AM
I just had an e-mail back and there is not a problem getting a similar deal on salt. The price of the salt would be the same just save big time on shipping. I am going to be ordering some more so if anyone wants some just let me know and I will arrange to get it sent. I am going to arrange for mine to be here in the middle of March as that is when I will be down in Vancouver when I return from holidays.

Psyire
01-30-2006, 01:48 AM
That's awesome.

I originally looked into getting Tropic Marin but it was a pain locating. Perhaps we'll have to lobby @ the local stores and get them to bring it in. (would be easier)

Kryten
02-14-2006, 06:10 PM
I used to get Tropic Marin from Henry at DAD's Fishroom, just off Whyte and 99th. It's been a while though, so I don't know if he can still get it.

dirtyreefer
02-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I think I would be more interested in the TM Pro since I haven't heard anything bad about it. Wouldn't want to risk getting an entire pail of the Seachem only to find that it's lacking it something.

Ruth would you be able to test the PO4 and NO3 (I know it should be zero, but look at what happened to Oceanic)?

Ruth
02-14-2006, 11:19 PM
I did test for PO4 and it was at 0.00 and that was using a Hanna colorimeter. Did not test for NO3 but will on the next batch I make up. BTW the salt that I am using is the Tropic Marin Pro.

Psyire
02-14-2006, 11:46 PM
How do you like the Hanna Colorimeter?

Ruth
02-14-2006, 11:50 PM
It's a bit finicky to use but once you get the hang of it not too bad. You just have to be very careful not to let any foreign material into the little curvette reader thingy (that's technical talk for all my fellow geeks). Definately scares me that I was taking the word of my Salifert PO4 test kit as I got multiple higher readings using the Hanna.