PDA

View Full Version : installed a gfi plug

robzilla
01-29-2006, 04:35 PM
after having a powerbar short out and turn many colours of black, from a skimmer collection cup that wasnt tighten all the way, i figured it would be wise to install a gfi plug.
it only took ten minutes but i feel more at ease.
i definitely recommend that you have them installed.

imo

Kabong
01-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Even a GFI wont allways save you. Make sure you spend the extra money
And get a high quality powerbar. Those crappy $5 ones are fire starters.

midgetwaiter
01-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Even a GFI wont allways save you. Make sure you spend the extra money
And get a high quality powerbar. Those crappy $5 ones are fire starters.

What qualaties of an expensive power bar would make a difference in that situation? In the case of aquariums overall?

I can't think of anything.

Kabong
01-30-2006, 04:09 AM
If you get a work shop grade powerbar Some of the advantages are
Higher guage wire (handles the high amps we use on the reefs better)
Metal construction (plastics flamable)
Built in breaker.

The american DJ power center is becoming a very popular power bar for reefers
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/acekaraoke_1882_200414036
8 sockets each with its own switch :biggrin:

fatpuffer
01-30-2006, 05:19 AM
where and how much?

Kabong
01-30-2006, 07:05 AM
I have'nt seen a canadian source, but they go for about $30 US. You can pick them up on e-bay as well.

Ruth
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I use the Chauvet power bars that are similar to the one above. They are available in music stores. I ordered mine online and for the life of me I can't find the name of the company I ordered from. I really like the heavy duty construction and the separate switches for each outlet.

Ruth
01-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Ha! Found the site I ordered from - it is Axe music
http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=76&P_ID=4456&PT_ID=all

midgetwaiter
01-30-2006, 05:06 PM
The switches are fantastic no doubt but realisticly any CSA approved power bar should handle 15 amps (1875 watt) without issue.

I'm thinking this is more of a nice to have.

Kabong
01-30-2006, 06:38 PM
In theory yes but,
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/bergzy/IMG_3048edit.jpg

http://workshopwebs.com/pictures/fish/150/05September/090405/friedplugs.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/74275House_Fire_Resize.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/canreeftank/pix/kai_3.jpg

This are all power bars that were hooked to aquarium equipment. Some hooked up to GFI's.
Sometimes GFI's dont trip until after the fire has started. At that point if nothing else id rather have a metal powerbar over a plastic one.
The funny thing is the one that looks like it totaly caught on fire is the Coralife power center, Thats actually made for the aquarium.

Overall maybey im a little paranoid but id rather spent $40 and sleep a little better at night.

Squiddy
01-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Ruth, how much was shipping, how did you have it shipped and how long did it take from Axe? Thanks!

Ruth
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I ordered 3 of them and the shipping was really quick and I got in on a promo so it was free!

midgetwaiter
01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
I've got a power bar that looks just like the ones pictured. I know what I did to it though, I got SW all over it. I'll bet that those power bars either had water or salt creep short them out. A power bar for an aquarium should never be on the floor. Any power cables should dip lower than the plug to avoid water running down the cable.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 06:37 PM
In addition to GFI outlets and powerbars NOT on the floor, you should use a grounding probe for safety. For example, if your lighting unit falls into the tank while you have your hands in it, the GFI wont trip, but a grounding probe may save your life.

I would also test your aquarium pretty regularly for stray current as well, to make sure any of your devices are not failing/faulty.

TheReefGeek
01-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Sweet link for the DJ Panel, I have been looking for those for a while, and they are right here in Edmonton! I am going to pick 2 up tonight, now I can complete my electrical setup!

robzilla
02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
In addition to GFI outlets and powerbars NOT on the floor, you should use a grounding probe for safety. For example, if your lighting unit falls into the tank while you have your hands in it, the GFI wont trip, but a grounding probe may save your life.

I would also test your aquarium pretty regularly for stray current as well, to make sure any of your devices are not failing/faulty.

how do you setup a grounding probe? any links? how do you test for stray current?

TheReefGeek
02-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Grounding probe you can buy from www.jlaquatics.com

To test for stray current, you need a voltmeter (a $15 multimeter from Canadian Tire will do), then you put one probe into the ground of a power bar, and the other in your tank, and see if there are any volts reading on the meter. Every device (pumps, heaters, etc.) puts out some stray voltate, the key is to measure it every month or so to ensure it does not increase. The grounding probe has to be out of the tank to test for stray current. The grounding probe "grounds out" the stray voltage for you. But it does this at the cost of creating current, so too much is bad. If you have a device that is putting out more than a couple volts, I would probably replace it.

tbone
02-03-2006, 05:06 AM
I've got a power bar that looks just like the ones pictured. I know what I did to it though, I got SW all over it. I'll bet that those power bars either had water or salt creep short them out. A power bar for an aquarium should never be on the floor. Any power cables should dip lower than the plug to avoid water running down the cable.

i just learn that from today!!!!!!!!

tank overflowed when i was doing something. water went into the powerbar. so i'd jump on the the salt bucket and unplug everything. it felt like i was fighting for the unplugging the cord.