PDA

View Full Version : Help with red fuzzy algae

Chin_Lee
01-29-2006, 08:16 AM
My tank is starting to get infested with this algae.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/684_8447.JPG

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/684_8450.JPG

I have a yellow and purple tang in there and they are not doing much to alleviate the problem. My observations to date:
1) it prefers to grow in high light areas
2) high flow doesn't deter its growth
3) I am running rowaphos in phosban reactor and last i checked, my phosphate is almost undetectable. Come to think about it this algae is actually doing better since I started my phosphate reactor.
4) manual removal with a toothbrush seems to work well but only on pieces of liverock that I can remove from the system to do so.

So the questions that I have are:
Does anybody else have this problem and if so, how was it managed?
Does anybody know what this algae is called or if its even an algae?
Does anybody know of an animal (fish/invert) that will eat this algae?

Please help if you can - this algae is making my tank highly undesirable.

Ruth
01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Chin I had that crap in my fuge on my 230g and it is bad stuff. It had totally covered everything in there and was starting to choke off my chaeto which was infested with it. I should have taken a picture as it was just nasty. (I just noticed that I have some started in the fuge of my 190)
Anyway I managed to get it under control by picking as much as I could by hand and putting a sea hare and some of the large (huge) Mexican Turbo snails that I got from James and Wendell at OA. Regular snails won't touch the stuff and I have never heard of any of the herbivor fish touching it either. There was a thread on RC a while ago about it but I can't remember what it was called - it might have been red cotton ball algea or something like that.

Johnny Reefer
01-29-2006, 01:32 PM
My best guess is Wrangelia argus.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.seewasserlexikon.de/algen/wrangelia_argus.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DWrangelia%2Bargus%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/j_sprung_072698.html

On the second link...note the third Q&A down.

HTH and cheers,:smile:

StirCrazy
01-29-2006, 01:57 PM
So the questions that I have are:
Does anybody else have this problem and if so, how was it managed?
Does anybody know what this algae is called or if its even an algae?
Does anybody know of an animal (fish/invert) that will eat this algae?

Please help if you can - this algae is making my tank highly undesirable.

turbo snails eat it like crazy but you want the ones colected from mexico (which I think are the ones J&L always get unless they have changed.

this is that one I had a while ago that took over my tank in two weeks. the turbo's had it gone with in three weeks.

Steve

Jason McK
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I believe when OA had that algae in there tanks they finally discovered Turbo Snails went nuts for the stuff. I think it was the ones that had the spiral red stripes on the shell, but I'm sure most Turbos will take it out.

J

OCDP
01-29-2006, 04:49 PM
That's good to know as I have the same algae taking over a few rocks in my tank. Sea Hare doesn't touch it.

Ruth
01-29-2006, 04:51 PM
My Sea Hare was all over this stuff so maybe they are hit and miss.

S-B
01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
I've had this same algae for close to a year now, my turbo's haven't touched it . maybe the mexican turbo's will ?

Salinity Now
01-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Here is a great article on the infamous red algae. And oh yeah, I had a run in with it as well. I think mine was due to "old fluorescent bulb syndrome" aka. "too lazy to buy new bulbs" :redface:. I don't think that is what caused it initially, but I think that is what contributed to its quick growth. I have since cleaned my rock and waiting for it's unsightly return :evil:. I'll be picking up some turbo's here shortly as well. From the article it sounds like their the only things to stop this red beast.

http://www.marineland.com/seascope/ss2003_issue3.pdf

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-29-2006, 06:29 PM
J&L has lots of large/med sized turbos right now. 25% off - clean-up crew sale ends Monday.

Scales
01-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Chin.

I am "almost finished" with this same problem. I researched and found a couple of sources that advised turbo snails from the Pacific...I purchased 25 (for a 180) from J&L and they have cleaned up 95% of it...last night I even grabbed a couple and put them in an area that was being "overlooked"...this morning all the algae was completely gone from that area...

Cheers.

doublette
01-29-2006, 10:40 PM
We also had a problem with that algae a while ago. We were waiting to get the proper snails when I fell in love with the sea hare and convinced hubby to buy one. Never needed the snails after all, the sea hare cleaned the tank right up!

Chin_Lee
01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
thanks for the help guys. went to JL's and picked up a bunch of pacific turbos. Last night after I posted, I decided to bring a piece of rock covered with this algae to my sump to see if my achilles tang will eat it. He started eating it as well so if the turbos can't eat it faster than the algae can reproduce, I'm gonna have to catch my purple/yellow tangs from my display and put my achilles in there instead. i hope the purple and yellow tangs like the sump :wink:

rusty
01-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey Chin I have been battleing this crap fopr some time now :evil: I too am going to get some mexicans in to clean it up. In my tank it took over the rock my monti cap was on and nearly killed it never the less it is still severly damaged. I just hope the snails take care of it cause I am getting sick of manual removal of ths stuff.

asherah
01-30-2006, 02:52 AM
OCDP - Princess mononuke (Sp) :)

asherah

sumpfinfishe
01-30-2006, 03:03 AM
GoodlucK Chin,

Yeah that stuff wasn't so nice looking when I was over. Do you know the cause of it yet, just wondering if this stuff has a special requirement to grow or if it came in on some frag or LR. Everything and I mean everything else in the tank looked B-eautiful!