PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Victoria! (Never Coming Back)

AJ_77
07-06-2002, 12:17 AM
Been hanging out here all week - forgot how much I love this place... One more night, then back to the Dry Dusty. *sigh* :(

So, what's the HOT employment sector out here? Need some advice and/or connections. smile.gif

Cheers, all

Alan

Tau2301
07-06-2002, 01:07 AM
I hear playing Bongo Drums will earn you a good living. :D

You might have to let your hair grow, get a nose ring, and sport a few cool tattoos. ;)

Post pictures...

Aquattro
07-06-2002, 01:56 AM
Alan, there's two industries here....tourism and government. Government just cut 30% of it's staff. If you've got waiter experience, you're in demand!!

AJ_77
07-06-2002, 02:08 AM
Brad, I hope you're not a Sys Anal for the gov't?
I notice you're not asking me to forward a resume... ;)

EmilyB
07-06-2002, 02:45 AM
Can't say I blame you....write when you find us all work. :D

BC_Grl
07-06-2002, 04:29 AM
Definitely not as good as what I hear Calgary is doing... I tried to talk to my husband to moving out there when I was unemployed.
Work here is quite hard to find unless you want to work long hours for next to nothing. I didn't which is why it took me a long time to find a job. :(

Aquattro
07-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by AJ_77:
Brad, I hope you're not a Sys Anal for the gov't?
I notice you're not asking me to forward a resume... ;) <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">How did you know?? That's what I am until september 3rd, my official "you don't work here anymore" date. Of course that can and probably will change. June 11 was my last "official" date.

AJ_77
07-08-2002, 01:10 PM
Brad, what are your options if they ever do catch up with you? Somebody must be getting maintenance contracts out there. Any small-to-mid sized admin firms?

Aquattro
07-09-2002, 04:47 AM
Most of the contract firms are/were performing gov't contracts. There is work in the IT field, but now there are a lot more people after them. When I get cut, I'm going to be making skimmers, reactors, and other ass't acrylic aquarium products. :D
A good non-gov't IT job here might get you a little more than $15/hr unless you have a premium skill set (Oracle development, large project management, etc).