PDA

View Full Version : Un-expected pregnancy and birth

blood_hound
01-28-2006, 11:01 PM
My Seahorses got busy.
I was cleaning my seahorse tank last thursday and I notice that three of my seahorse pouch was really big, at first I thought it was nothing but still decided to put them in a seperate tank then when I was watching them today "boom" one of the seahorse exploded with babies...

Now I put up couple of brine shrimp hachery for food.

Questions.

Is brine shrimp enough for these babies?
What are the likely hood of survival for my baby seahorse?
how long would it take for seahorse to mature enough so I can relax a little bit?
Anybody want a baby seahorse?? lol

Beverly
01-29-2006, 01:49 AM
Depending on the species of the fry, newly hatched brine shrimp may be too large.

For more info on raising fry visit these seahorse websites...

http://www.syngnathid.org/

http://www.seahorse.org/

Chin_Lee
01-29-2006, 03:15 AM
i say this with reservation because i've never kept sea-horses but i wonder if reef-roids will be eaten by baby seahorses. seem small like rotifers and smaller than bbs. might be worth a try to try to get them onto non-live foods.

My Seahorses got busy.
I was cleaning my seahorse tank last thursday and I notice that three of my seahorse pouch was really big, at first I thought it was nothing but still decided to put them in a seperate tank then when I was watching them today "boom" one of the seahorse exploded with babies...

Now I put up couple of brine shrimp hachery for food.

Questions.

Is brine shrimp enough for these babies?
What are the likely hood of survival for my baby seahorse?
how long would it take for seahorse to mature enough so I can relax a little bit?
Anybody want a baby seahorse?? lol

fatpuffer
01-29-2006, 03:46 AM
IF ur in a bind...can u use frozen cubed rotifers they sell at LFS?

Js

midgetwaiter
01-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Riverfront is supposed to be getting some live rotifer cultures this week (I think Monday), they might be just the thing you need.

Nemo
01-29-2006, 05:01 AM
This link should help you

http://www.globalreefers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-29-2006, 07:10 AM
What species? A lot will depend on the species. If you are able to use bbs, be prepared to set up several hatcheries (2 l bottles with a bubbler works fine) & start a new culture every day. Uneaten bbs can then be raised in a small tank (5g) to be raised for the time when/if the surviving babies get bigger & need bigger food. Only newly hatched bbs are nutritious, so older ones will need to be gut loaded by feeding with spirulina powder & Selcon vitamins or something else good.

good luck,

Anthony

blood_hound
01-29-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all the info. Hope this all works out.

For Anthony seahorse is a Kuda.I will see it later if they take bbs.

Beverly
01-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Newborn Kuda fry are too small to eat bbs. You'll need rotifers for the first few weeks.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Yup, kuda fry are super tiny. Good luck though. If you raise rotifers, you should set it up similar to the bs hatchery, where you have several small hatcheries because they have a bad tendency to crash. Several of us on the coast were raising rotifers last year, but all our systems died out after a few weeks to months. If you get some reef-roids & rotifers, maybe try feeding both at the same time (ie. trick the babies into eating the non-live food so life will be a lot easier later). BTW, rotifers need to be fed phytoplankton. Doing the whole phyto, rotifer, bbs routine will be very labour intensive & time consuming (as well as take up valuable space) so I hope you have an understanding spouse :)

Again, good luck.

Anthony

blood_hound
01-29-2006, 08:24 PM
I just ordered bunch of reef-roid to be overnight ship to me , been reading on culturing rotifier
And on regards on time and space to do all this is not an issue being single and living alone for the past two months now. lol

Yup, kuda fry are super tiny. Good luck though. If you raise rotifers, you should set it up similar to the bs hatchery, where you have several small hatcheries because they have a bad tendency to crash. Several of us on the coast were raising rotifers last year, but all our systems died out after a few weeks to months. If you get some reef-roids & rotifers, maybe try feeding both at the same time (ie. trick the babies into eating the non-live food so life will be a lot easier later). BTW, rotifers need to be fed phytoplankton. Doing the whole phyto, rotifer, bbs routine will be very labour intensive & time consuming (as well as take up valuable space) so I hope you have an understanding spouse :)

Again, good luck.

Anthony