PDA

View Full Version : Can Anything Help My Puffer Pull Through!?

Coldwater
01-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Well to start things off my my Dwarf pufferfish has been attacked pretty badly by my Snowflake... He isnt eating anything, has his spine arked up, swims like a tank and his left eye sort of has skin hanging over it. I have turned down the current in my tank put him in the sump and some hiding rocks. Water parameters are fine. Is there any medication I can use to make him eat and/or heal? He looks to be in pretty rough shape and is not acting like a pufferfish should be. Any help would be great thanks.

Matt

Kabong
01-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Keep the water pristine and most importantly, Get him eating.
Try anything you can to entice him to eat, Garlic, wiggling his food on a stick, live food, try whatever you can think off.
If he isnt eating he wont have the energy to heal himself.

fatpuffer
01-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Is that FW dwarf puffer? Can u give the latin/scientific name please.

Js

OCDP
01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Agreed with kabong. Pristine water and the most minimal amount of stress possible will help your fish recover. I would also try to use garlic soaked food as well, can't hurt to try at least. Good luck, hope he makes it!

bulletsworld
01-26-2006, 11:07 PM
The scientific name for the Dwarf Puffer is Carinotetraodon travancoricus.

They are indeed 100% FW fish but they can tolerate small increases in salinity, converting them into Brackish water.

I never unstood why someone would put a puffer in with a snowflake eel anyway. The lil dwarf puffer is the shape of a goldfish. Of course he's going to get bit! I see it to often that the puffers (both SW & FW) tails get bit off. So sad really.

With treatment options... it really depends how bad the little guy is. Is its tail gone? Is there just fins ripped? Do you have puffer in FW or Brackish? Pic's would help state his position better. Without that info... hard to really give advice. Sometimes just leaving them be is best to see if he can recover.

If its not that bad (Depends on damage) there is a great herbal remedy...
The product is called "Melafix", its a safe all natural anti-bacterial remedy that is safe for puffers. It is is also good for scrapes, wounds and torn fins (great for fin regeneration and less scarring of wounds). Improvements can be seen within a few days of treatment. I was really impressed with this stuff.

Hope this helps.

Coldwater
01-27-2006, 02:15 AM
Bad news he died last night. I didnt think he was going to make he was pretty messed up.

The moray has never bugged either of them before and I have had both for over two years. The pufferfish Bulletsworld found is not what I have. The name is Tetraodon nigroviridis. It is a brackish fish that needs salt water once it reaches adulthood. Google the word and you will find some info.

Matt

Kabong
01-27-2006, 05:03 AM
My condolences buddy, I just lost one of mine own recently.

For the record
Tetraodon nigroviridis AKA Green spotted puffer.
Carinotetraodon travancoricus or Carinotetraodon imitator AKA Dwarf puffer
Tiny little guys that are only about 1 inch full grown.

fatpuffer
01-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Tetraodon nigrividis is not a dwarf puffer. It is a green spotted puffer that grows to about 6 inches as adult and requires marine condition.

The real pure 100 percent FW is the Carinotetraodon travancoricus.
It does not live in brackish condition at all. It is a dwarf species from India (I think).

My info came from the thepufferforum.com and dwarfpuffer.com

Js