PDA

View Full Version : What would it take?

SerLunchbox
01-26-2006, 03:08 AM
So i was just re-elected at the Calgary Aquarium Societies Secretary.

and i think that the topic says it all, "what would it take?" I would really like to see the reefing/saltwater community starting to have a voice in the society. We are however the Calgary AQUARIUM society. The operative work is AQUARIUM. We all keep them whether they are freshwater or salt. I myself will soon (hopefully) be keeping a freshwater and a reef system.

So please let me know what would be appealing to you guys if you were to join the Calgary aquarium society?

One idea that i had was how would you like a monthly frag swap at every meeting for if you were a member of the CAS?

IF there is anything and i mean ANYTHING that i can possibly do to make you join the society and have a better saltwater presence please let me know. I am listening and reading to all suggestions. It would make me really happy to see the society grow in numbers an experience. so please let me know!

richtg
01-27-2006, 12:09 PM
I think that a monthly frag swap would be great. It is a chance for everyone to diversify their setups, talk amongst fellow reefers about success stories, plaguing problems, etc. Many also have freshwater setups (or interest in them). It is a problem for many of us to host them @ our houses (too cramped, etc.), so if we had a common stomping ground it would be easier for us to get together more often. It is also an opportunity for the lfs to get involved.

Swap-meets such as the last one held by snappy and his wife demonstrated that the local stores (some of them, anyways) are interested in establishing a good relationship with us. They scratch our backs...

I (and others) have decided to shop exclusively @ the stores that embrace the opportunity to get involved with us.

My questions to you are:
What are the objectives and goals of the society?
Do you have a meeting place?
What is expected of a member (obligations, etc.)?

Basically, a lot of us are pressed for time and have joined canreef for the collective wisdom to accomplish the goal of establishing and maintaining a healthy captive reef. We can submit a post and read the reply at our convenience. It may sound stuck-up, but despite the fact that I like to help people out now and then, I need to get something out of a relationship.

I will follow this thread and think of some more ideas in the meantime. Good luck.

Rich.

SerLunchbox
01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, most of your questions can be answered by going to www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

Our web editor is currently in the process of upgrading the ste to allow for the newest information and changes (we just switched hosting servers).

Our objectives and goals are listed here:
http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/about_us.php

Our meetings are held Meetings are held at 7:30 PM on the fourth Tuesday of each month (except July and August) at:

Cresent Heights Community Association
1101 2nd St NW, Calgary, Alberta (for those who take the bus, the #2 has a stop VERY close by).

As a member, i think that the only real obligation you have is to have fun and at least attempt to get involved somewhat. Our meetings start at 7:30 and usually end at about 9:00. But if you get us all talking after the official meeting is over, well, we will be there clear until 11:00pm!

I also think that another obligation is to lend your experience to those who need it.

I greatly understand the "pressed for time" situation. I personally am a chef so my time is basically "i am not sure if i will actually be there or not". We are alway son the prowl for those businesses that will give us a deal for being in the society. Currently the top 2 hitters would have to be Riverfront and Pisces. Also, Tanks a lot gives a little discount on dry goods and i also BELIEVE that it is Petland that give society members a discount on aquarium items.

If i get enough interest, i will bring it to the board to have a vote to have a frag swap at the February meeting. Thank you all for reading this, and please don't be too shy ... i don't bite unless you ask nicely! LOL

kari
01-27-2006, 01:03 PM
What would it take?

Beer:biggrin:

Just kidding, I don't think we are all alcoholics.

RobbAdams
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
What would it take?

Beer:biggrin:

Just kidding, I don't think we are all alcoholics.

We're not?:drinking:

I would re-join, if there was marine stuff happening.

Delphinus
01-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Bring in reef speakers. Eric Borneman, Anthony Calfo, Charles Delbeek. You'll fill the building to the rafters with reefkeepers. Join MASNA. Host a MACNA. ...

My only concern is this: I've always had the perception that the CAS is primarily FW folk. Trying to grow into the SW domain, might dilute your focus a little bit. I personally believe that a separate society should be eventually formed. An affiliation between the two societies, of course, but really, if you want to focus on FW, there's your society; if you want to focus of SW, there would be another society. Even within the whole SW domain there are huge diversities -- it would be hard to maintain a single focus. The ocean is a big place.

Several examples (or precedents) already exist of what I'm talking about. For example, the Foothills Orchid Society focuses on orchids. The Calgary Horticultural Society focuses on growing .. well .. anything.. gardens in general, I suppose. Several people in the CHS like orchids, and people in the FAS like other things, but mostly people who have an interest in both, tend to be members of both societies. And there is a "dotted line" affiliation, they are sibling societies (not competiting societies). In other cities there are FW aquarium societies and there are SW and/or reef aquarium societies.

I've always had the dream of one day forming a reef society within Calgary. Our numbers aren't really quite there to make a go of it just yet but the hobby continues to grow. I see it as inevitable, in fact. I don't see that as competition for your society, but rather as a "comrade" society with a similar-but-different focus. It would be great to have members in both (hypothetical) societies who are members of both.

But for now I guess it's just the CAS for us until that second society ever gets off the ground.

allincuddy
01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
It would be great for reefers to get with the CAS, but you still have a two distinct groups already, those who raise African cichlids and those who don't, bringing a third group into the mix, might only make 3 seperate groups under one roof, with less time divoted to each.
Just my opinion but killi owners don't want to listen to a cichlid talk and visa versa, with 3 different groups????
But maybe I'm out to lunch and it might work.
Good luck, and I am a member and do appreciate alot of things the club has to offer.

SerLunchbox
01-29-2006, 05:03 AM
Thank you all for your input.

Delphinus: i have to agree with you. Yes there is primarily a strong freshwater presence with the society as it stands. I also have to agree with the idea of 2 clubs in Calgary. However, with this I honestly believe that the 2 clubs would have to coexist and have some sort of transferance between them.

I do think that it would be possible to have all aquatic hobbiests under one roof and have a peaceful coexistance. Though it may be a slower transition, i see the potential of good and also the potential for disaster (what can i say, i am a realist).

I think that these initial posts and discussions are a great step forward. I would really like to think that it would be possible for having all aquarium keepers to meet together, but as forementioned, i see the greater probability of segregation.

keep em coming!

G1GY
01-29-2006, 05:28 AM
If there was a fair number of salt water people joining the Calgary Aquarium Society I'd probably give it a whirl. :)

But in my past experiences I've found that clubs and so on can be too organized.

I truley enjoy the informal meet and greet things that just happen with the salt water people that I've met here on the board. I don't think this can be duplicated in a club setting.

I hope I'm not coming across in a negative way when I say this. :) (This is not my intent.)

It's just my opinion that "bigger is not always better".

When these informal reef meetings take place, they feel more like a relaxing visit with an old freind than a discussion with an agenda and recorded minutes.

I have been in the aquarium hobby for around 25 years and in reef keeping for the last 3 or 4 years.

This group of reefers where a big influence in sparking my intrest when I was planning on just getting out of it. (And the informal setting was the best part for me.)

Thanks for reading my rant.

Cheers.

SerLunchbox
01-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks G1GY. I take all critisism and comments in stride (nothing REALLY bothers me in those terms). I do agree with a formal meet and greet. I think that they work a lot better for getting to know people.

You have all given me so many more ideas and i thank you for it all. As i said, keep em coming i do enjoy getting all these comments.

danny zubot
01-30-2006, 06:22 PM
As Tony said earlier, guest speakers and LFS involvment etc. Would draw the attension of a lot of reefers. Because it's such an expensive hobby, we all pounce on any opportunity for freebees'. Are there any fees for joining?

SerLunchbox
01-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Well, there is a $30 fee to join. This here goes towards the clubs activites.

As for discounts, we currently have discounts at 4 stores in Calgary.

They are as follows:

1) Pisces pet emproium (15% on FW fish and 10% on aquarium related dry goods)

2) Riverfront Aquariums (20% discount on fish and 10% on aquarium dry goods)

3) Tanks alot (10% discount on aquarium related dry goods)

and 4) petlands (15% discount on fish)

The riverfront one pays for itself in all honesty! I have gotten more then $30 off in a years time!

RobbAdams
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
20% off Marine fish at riverfront??

SerLunchbox
01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
I believe so ... it is 20% off of fish according to the monthly magazine