PDA

View Full Version : HammerHead Coral

Seriak
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I just obntained a new hammerhead coral that had two very nice heads on it a couple weeks ago. Yesterday one head receded and now it looks like it is dying. The other head is doing great. Besides the water conditions what else could cause a head of a LPS to die. All my other LPS are doing great in this tank. It is in a moderate to slow current, with MH lighting.

Thanks

seashells
01-25-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a piece with 4 heads.They all recede at night but sometimes during the day 1 or 2 will recede, they come out again later. How long has it been?

digital-audiophile
01-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Have you dosed anything into your tank? I made the mistake of dosing for ich and it really hur a couple of the heads of my hammer. They came back just fine though.

Seriak
01-25-2006, 11:31 PM
No dosing other than Kalk. It receded just over a day ago and now its looking sickly not just receeded.

Well maybe its because mysis gets trapped in the head and my shrimp or crabs pick at it to get the mysis. What do you think?

OCDP
01-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Just watch it, if it get's worse and worse then you know it's sick and dying. Sometimes LPS corals get brown jelly disease and once it starts it's hard to stop. I've lost 2 damn hammers to this problem. Sometimes they are damaged during transit as well and if any damage is caused to it, they sometimes don't bounce back.

Just keep an eye on it... and if you think it's starting to get worse then frag off the second head that is doing well. JMO