PDA

View Full Version : Corcea Clam's and feeding

fortheloveofcrabs
01-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering I have a corcea clam and 175watts of MH lighting. I've read many places that this is adequate lighting - but - in the interest of the best possible environment for my little clammy, I was considering feeding him. Does anyone have any experience in this?

Thanks!

-Pauli

golfbomber
01-25-2006, 06:17 PM
lots of ppl feed phyto, but i find it a hassle to use, because of its self life. i just use frozen oyster eggs (once a week) and my lighting and check ca levels, and all three seem happy.

andestang
01-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Just intense lighting :mrgreen: What depth is it at ?

fortheloveofcrabs
01-26-2006, 06:56 AM
The clam is about 12 inches deep (in the sand bed) but I am going to move it up to about 6 inches below the surface, which is about 8 inches away from a 175 Mh 20kk.

How do you feed your clam? Do you remove it from the tank, spot feed, ect?

-Pauli

danny zubot
01-26-2006, 02:18 PM
12" down isn't bad at all. I'm still a clam newbie myself but you don't need to remove the clam. It will plant its "foot" (?) on the rock it's sitting on so you don't want to risk ripping it off and injuring it. To the best of my knowledge it will eat whatever your corals eat.

OCDP
01-26-2006, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't bother feeding it, just a hassle to you. Your clam will thrive and be quite happy as long as the lighting is adequate. But it sounds like that's all in check.. so I'd just make sure your CA levels are good as clams use lots of it. Good luck,

fortheloveofcrabs
01-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Thanks all, but you never know with salt water. I have many LPS corals, and all are thriving, except my bubble coral... Sadly, it has been slowly wilting away for the past 8 months, and I can't seem to help it... Sigh... I just want to make sure my calm has the best care around, so to speak...

-Pauli

Ruth
01-27-2006, 11:58 AM
I have 6 clams in my tank - 3 crocea' and 3 squamosas. I don't feed them specifically feed them however I do feed my tanks Phytofeast, cyclopeeze and oyster eggs. I think the most important thing is to make sure they are getting enough light and calcium. If you notice your crocea's mantle starting to fade in colour it is usually a good indication that it is not getting enough light. They are the most light demanding of the clams so moving it further up in your rockwork is probably a good idea. I have my croceas about 15" under 400W MH. HTH

doch
01-28-2006, 09:38 PM
I heard once that a daily algea scrub on the walls of your tank is enough to feed a clam. Not sure on the validity of this, but that is what I heard.

untamed
01-29-2006, 05:19 AM
My clam exists very happily under a single 175W MH at a depth of 20 inches. I do feed DT's daily, but I don't think the clam needs this. (I feed the DT's for other reasons).