PDA

View Full Version : Shipping

blood_hound
01-23-2006, 05:50 AM
Does anyone here have try ordering from the US? What is the best shipping option? Is there any way to ship here without paying too much duties or none at all?

Willow
01-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Does anyone here have try ordering from the US? What is the best shipping option? Is there any way to ship here without paying too much duties or none at all?

usps, all you do is pay a $5 dollar brokerage fee and the taxes and applicable duties. if its made in the usa then there are no duties. also if you get them to stamp the box "replacement parts" then there are no taxs or brokerage fees at all :twised:

mark
01-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Bought a $300. electronic item from the States, shipped USPS, $5.00 brokerage plus GST. Box was probably 24x18x12", about 8kg and here from the eastern States in a week.

Skimmer and some other parts (~$300.) shipped by Fedex (and this was even asking for it to be shipped via USPS). I called Fedex told would be looking at ~$20 for GST, $5.00 for something, then just a little more for taxes (they couldn't tell me how much in total). Driver didn't know fees but with what Fedex told me, okay, won't refuse item. Week after delivery get a bill in the mail for $67.

Can't track with USPS but really, how offer does mail go missing.

Funky_Fish14
01-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I got a 40 some dollar brokerage fee on something from the US once, shipped with FedEx, I forgot to pay the brokerage fee and was never charged for it? Lol. This was a couple years ago, I didnt mean to forget, but they seemed to suck it up?

Chris

Willow
01-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Bought a $300. electronic item from the States, shipped USPS, $5.00 brokerage plus GST.

don't forget as of last year they also charge pst! well not in alberta i guess.

targaboy78
01-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Just a quick FYI. The folks at Canada Customs can be real jerks when they want to be.

I bought a pair of Reebok softball cleats last year on eBay. I got them for $25 USD.

I ended up paying $30 CDN in duties and taxes.

They they calculated taxes and duties on the $90 USD retail price. I called them about it and they said that many of the invoices are "fudged" so sometimes they go by the retail price. (This time it was my turn... Lucky me)

However, Willow is right...
also if you get them to stamp the box "replacement parts" then there are no taxs or brokerage fees at all
I purchased a used EV-180 skimmer on eBay and the seller wrote "Defective Product Return" on the box. It was obvious that it had been used, so I got it tax free.

I guess you just have to take your chances. Calculate the price on the worse-case-scenario.

Ruth
01-23-2006, 05:01 PM
UPS is horrible IMO. I have gotten so many broken things shipped through them. They also charge a brokerage fee, customs - if applicable - and taxes. Then on top of all that I paid when I picked up the item and the local broker did not do a good job of their paperwork so the head office kept sending me bills. I phoned a couple of times to explain that I had paid it - sent them copies of my cancelled checks - they then sent it to collections as their record keeping just sucks. This has happened to me about 5 different times so when I order from the States I have them use good old USPS.

blood_hound
01-23-2006, 11:28 PM
I dont know if Im getting this right but you guys are saying is to use USPS and have package stamped as replacement parts so i dont need to pay any duties

marie
01-24-2006, 12:34 AM
UPS is horrible IMO. I have gotten so many broken things shipped through them. They also charge a brokerage fee, customs - if applicable - and taxes. Then on top of all that I paid when I picked up the item and the local broker did not do a good job of their paperwork so the head office kept sending me bills. I phoned a couple of times to explain that I had paid it - sent them copies of my cancelled checks - they then sent it to collections as their record keeping just sucks. This has happened to me about 5 different times so when I order from the States I have them use good old USPS.

Both times I had ups deliver to me, the driver refused to leave the package until he was paid and still the head office billed me again 2 months later. I wonder how many people just pay again unquestioningly

Ruth
01-24-2006, 12:47 AM
Sean I don't take that chance. I have the shipper label it for what it is and use the correct value that I paid. If the product is made in the US there should be no duties on it but there will be GST and if you live anywhere but Alberta PST. What you are avoiding by using USPS is the large brokerage fee and as Marie and I have experienced double billing on that.

blood_hound
01-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Cool thanks.....

deep6er
01-25-2006, 03:25 PM
USPS???? Its early, what does this mean?

muck
01-25-2006, 03:28 PM
USPS???? Its early, what does this mean?

USPS = United States Postal Service :cool:

GMGQ
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
I order a lot of stuff from the states as well. Lots of ebay shopping, as well as other stuff. USPS Whenever Possible!! Email the seller to ask if they're willing to ship USPS, if not, then seriously consider how much you're "saving" compared to buying it locally. Only buy online from the US if it's cheaper after shipping and potential duties, or if you cant get it in Canada.

UPS has a MINIMUM $20 brokerage charge, even for a $5 item. Technically you could call them and tell them NOT to do the customs for you. You can say that you'll come down to their depot and fill in the customs forms yourself. But that's such a hassle as well. So just avoid them at all costs.

Fedex is a bit better than UPS (in that their brokerage fees schedule is not as outrageous). But you still end up paying more than good ol' USPS.

woodcarver
01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Interesting thread ,good question and valuable info ,especially for someone just starting up, Thanks guys................

DanG
01-26-2006, 09:11 PM
My girlfriend bought used figure skates from the US, had the box marked as a gift, the declared value was $400 for insurance purposes and she got stuck for over $150 in duty and GST from Canada Customs. They were shipped USPS.
Free trade my ass.

GMGQ
01-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Well if they were used, you should have declared the used replacement cost. You shouldnt expect them to buy you brand new ones if they lose your USED ones.

Sorry to hear,but that's what you get for trying to out-smart the system.

My girlfriend bought used figure skates from the US, had the box marked as a gift, the declared value was $400 for insurance purposes and she got stuck for over $150 in duty and GST from Canada Customs. They were shipped USPS.
Free trade my ass.

blood_hound
01-26-2006, 10:53 PM
OK got my stuff now and I would say USPS is good way to ship item from US to Here. And its fast too ,it was ship Monday and just got it today, and also no duties. Thanks for the suggestion guys.

DanG
01-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Well if they were used, you should have declared the used replacement cost. You shouldnt expect them to buy you brand new ones if they lose your USED ones.

Sorry to hear,but that's what you get for trying to out-smart the system.

new value is over $700 us.

golfbomber
01-30-2006, 04:50 PM
just got my ASM skimmer g6 from the states and it was used, and didnt pay a cent in duties or GST. he declared it a gift and had a value of 50 bux. "Gifts from friends and relatives, valued at $60CDN or less, are duty and tax exempt. Goods imported into Canada, valued at $20CDN or more, are subject to all duties and taxes." you can read more about it on:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/b06-e.asp

but be aware that your goods can be held at the border if they feel that the declaration of the item is way off!