PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel

J Feez
01-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get some input on the Flame Angel. I'm hoping to get one of these and I just wanted to hear some tips or concerns about keeping these guys and how hard they are to keep. Any input is greatly appreciated :) Thanks again,

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Flame angels, like most dwarf angels are hit & miss when it comes to being reef-safe. Many people swear by them, but others have seen their flames nibble on their prized corals. Some reefers have had them for years, with no problems, only to find their flame going after their corals all of a sudden. Usually they are considered a hardy, beautiful little angel so if you get one for a reef tank, just pray you get a "good" one. Good luck.

Anthony

Skimmerking
01-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I Bought myself a flame a awhile back :mrgreen: I had a 62 gal with 4 clams and a bunch of sps and the tank was looking awesome, with lots of LPS and it was going to slowly get turned over to a sps tank with CLAMS ,

THEN I GOT THE flame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111:twised:

And now i have is a FOWLR with some GSP and a bigger tank and still have the flame ...

I miss the SPS look andthe clams,,,,,,,,,

Mine was a hit with the flame ...:snipersm:

Reefhawk1
01-22-2006, 03:59 PM
I have a Flame in my 30 gallon cube. He picks at the Sps once in a while but leaves all other corals alone. He seems to only pick at the Acro's when their poylps are extended. When I get my 120 going he definatly won't be going in :vamp:

Tom R
01-22-2006, 04:52 PM
I have always kept angels in my reef tanks. I have 2 or 3 in each, ranging from a Flame Angel to a 6" Majestic. They seem to leave all my corals alone however the Majestic will indulge himself on a zoo now and then. They all seem to look at a new coral as a source of food for the first couple of days but soon loose interest.

Tom R

deep6er
01-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I was thinking of getting a flame.. but not anymore.
What could someone put in their tank that is just as nice but reef safe?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Tangs are reef-safe. (mostly vegetarians)

Cherub angels are beautiful dwarf-dwarf angels that are almost always r-s.

Watanabe or Lamark's or Japanese Swallowtail angels are planktivores.

geopod
01-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I had a flame but she ended up picking at my brain and now with the stress the brain died. So I would be careful on what types of coral you have before you get one.

george

Psyire
01-22-2006, 09:13 PM
IMHO, Angels don't belong in reefs.

These are much better families for a reef environment:

Fairy Wrasses, Gobies, Blennies, Tangs, Anthias, Clowns

Ruth
01-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Actually I share the same opinion as Psyire on angels BUT they are so beautiful I have certainly been tempted to try. I have a coral beauty in my 230 that has never bothered anything YET. I would love to catch him and get him out of there but am not willing to tear my tank apart to catch a fish that really hasn't done anything wrong. I also have a Moorish Idol in my 190 that other than peck at a few zoo skirts has not bothered anything LPS or SPS and even if she does she's staying! I would love to get a conspic or a gold flake angel and think if I did ever find one I might just give it a try - particularly with the conspic.
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/angelfish/conspicillatusangel/

J Feez
01-23-2006, 02:13 AM
If you guys are recommending tangs I think the only way I'd like to go is with a Regal Tang. I've heard stories about how hard they are to keep though. Anyone have a personal experience?

Ruth
01-23-2006, 02:22 AM
How large of a tank are you running? Regal/hippo tangs are one of the easier tangs to keep although is prone to getting HLLE and as with all tangs is prone to ich. IMO the easiest tang to keep is probably a yellow tang and their vibrant colour is always nice. Regals get quite large and you probably need at the very least a 75g but preferably larger.
For colourful fish you may want to consider a wrasse. Some of the fairy and flasher wrasses are very colourful and active.

J Feez
01-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Yeah my tank is relatively small at only 39 gallons. That's why I like the Flame Angel because it doesn't get over 5 inches, if that.

Ruth
01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Personally I wouldn't consider adding any tang into that tank as even if you get a small one it will outgrow it fairly quickly. Take a look at the wrasse family - some stay fairly small, are colourful, and very active. Another option for you may be firefish (one of my personal favorites) but they can be jumpers so you have to be careful. I have never had one jump and I have open top tanks but have had two eaten by a large carpet anemone! No more firefish for that tank until the anemone finds a new home and I can't see that happening for a while.

J Feez
01-23-2006, 02:56 AM
So do you think a Flame Angel would be a good bet? I know that he may pick at the coral, but it might be a chance I'm willing to take.