PDA

View Full Version : torch problem

fishguyxd
01-21-2006, 03:26 AM
I am tank sitting for a friend he has a 10 gal with a few reef safe crabs a torch and other corals and a ,problem is it (torch) was out one of the heads and the other head laying down from the first time i started to taking care of tank ,but they were not really flowing alot now earlyier this evening i was checking thinks out again and looks like one head is completly gone or pulled itself inside itself and the other is only out just so you can see the green tips,the water parmeters are good ph sality, nitrite,ammonia but a little nitrate,so i did do a little water change10 % and skimmed a brownish layer of stuff off the top of the water. Any idea's?? should i take the torch out and bring it home to nurse it back in my tank or will this cause it more grief?

fishguyxd
01-21-2006, 07:34 PM
bump please

kuatto
01-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Al,you said you had to skim a brown layer off the surface,what kind of surface agitation is there?If there isnt enough agitation from say a pwr head then there maybe a lack of air exchange.You might want to try alittle more flow to get the surface movement.

Myanth
01-21-2006, 08:01 PM
I had a ten gallon with about 14 pounds live rock, high bio load, power sweep, and penguin 270 hang on and I had to skim the meniscus (spelling?) from the surface by submerging a cup untill the slick slipped in about once a week or my corals would not open during the day. Had about fifteen corals in there with no torch but even the stars and zoos wouldn't open if I left it more than a week.
A shot glass works well but you need to get as slow a flow as possible or you will just pull clean water from under the slick. It just became part of my weekly routine. Turn off all water movement for about an hour to let the scum settle and then slick it off, drain some more water and replace with fresh. Worked well for me.

Best of luck
Mike

Beverly
01-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Al,

Two things...

1. Agree about the surface scum. Get it on our three tanks and have to skim it off before changing the water weekly. We have lots of surface agitation, but the scum still collects. PITA, but what are you gonna do?

2. You did not mention what alk, Ca and Mg are in this tank. Prolonged depletion of any of these three chemistry components can also weaken a coral.

sumpfinfishe
01-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Surface scum is usually a sign of either or a combination of the following:

1>low flow

2>poor or no skimming

3>major die off of live rock, corals, anemones, etc...

Skimming the surface with a cup or shot glass will not remove all the waste in your system, instead bump up the flow and do weekly water changes or add a skimmer. This surface scum can kill other corals as it will build up mucus which will choke out other corals and inverts, your fish won't be too happy as well!

fishguyxd
01-21-2006, 11:57 PM
Well first "thanks" for all the info.
For the first week or so there was no scum on the surface, I have to check the ca yet and mag I just got the test kit so still figuring it out (salfret)
This is a small tank compared to what I am use to. it has only one mini powerhead but it does move the water around.lights are on alot and other corals are looking good.

His fish are fine, there living at my place for a week yet
I will keep you posted.

fishguyxd
01-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Well I now have it at my place under more light and circulation
It still has a little of the green tips showing ,but I am not sure if it has just
retracted inside or has had it. I hope i can mend it back for him at least here i
have it right in front of me to moniter.

Ruth
01-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't know what to tell you about the torch but can comment on the surface skum. I don't get it on any of my big tanks but do get it on my 12g nano. I am positive it is a collection of proteins on the surface as all of my large tanks are overskimmed and have lots of flow. My nano, even though I have a low bioload is not skimmed at all and has OK flow but not lots. To control this more I have stepped up to 2 times a week water changes. I still get a little bit but not much at all. IMO it is a sign of a tank that either needs more water changes or a better skimmer.:smile: