PDA

View Full Version : 3 or 4 green chromis in a 40g?

DanG
01-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I've got a 40g tank, a still kinda small maroon clown, a lawnmower blenny, a half dozen hermits, an emerald crab, a cleaner and 2 peppermint shrimp and a bunch of snails live in there now.
Would it be too high of a bio load to throw 3 or 4 chromis in there?

Cap'n
01-21-2006, 02:55 AM
No, it wouldn't be too much of a bioload. However, you will eventually end up with a single chromis with an adult damsel attitude.

My advice is to go straight for the damsel, as long as your sure you want one in your tank.

sumpfinfishe
01-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Adding fish for natural schooling is great if you have a very large tank, say a 240gl or higher. As mentioned, in most system's our tanks are too small for this purpose so you would be better off getting one chromis instead.

I like these fish and think they look great in reef tanks, unlike most other damsels. I had one in my reef for over four years and it never bothered a soul:biggrin:

mr_alberta
01-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Chromis are nice, but I've never seen them school unless there was a much bigger fish in the tank with them to induce this behavior. If there aren't really any big fish, they just seem to swim around and do their own thing (like killing each other :eek:).

michika
01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
They're cute little guys. They'll school if they have the oppertunity and the space. I have a pair of blue and a pair of yellow and they school together. I know Ed_Holland also has about five or six blue and they school beautifully.

I do believe it is the space and current that will dictate if they school or not. 3 or 4 chromis may school. You do also have to make sure when your choosing your fish that your not picking the loner hanging out in the back, as that may also be a reason why they don't school in smaller tanks.

DanG
01-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Hmm, no, I don't want anything with a damsel attitude in the tank, and certiantly don't want a bully. I'm sure my maroon could probably step up and be the boss, but I don't want to have to return another fish.

With 1 of them, do they usually stay fairly mellow?

michika
01-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I find with just one, they seem to become very passive and often seem lonely. I think with two they'd at least have someone to keep company wtih.

jennytheleopardgrouper
01-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I bought a chromis as my first fish in my 120 gallon. I introduced 2 later, who became the best of friends, but picked on the first one until it later died. Now the two school together constantly, with no large aggressive fish in the tank to force them.

sumpfinfishe
01-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Having one will do just fine epecially if is introduced as one of the last fish you add to your tank, that way it won't be able to aquire the entire tank as it's territory.

Adding two in a small tank is not a good idea, even in a larger tank could be risky.Even tho it has no buddies to hang with, this type of fish either schools with many or is better own it's own. Adding a pair would be like grouping two fighting fish in the same tank, they would battle to the death.

And as I mentioned, I had one in my 27gl for four years along with two percs, a sixline, and two gobies and it never bothered any of the other fish.

Snappy
01-22-2006, 03:26 AM
I had 5 until one went carpet surfing, but the 4 that are left school and have done so for the past year+ that I've had them.