PDA

View Full Version : miracul mud

scub steve
01-20-2006, 01:27 AM
anybody using this system if so how is it going? you got any pics of your sump i can look at cause im thinking of swiching

Ruth
01-20-2006, 01:38 AM
I use it in my 230 and I don't know if or how it works. I have 2 tangs - a hippo and a yellow and both have been very healthy for over a year now. No sign of ich or HLLE which this system is supposed to help with. My tank is healthy and everything is growing and doing well. I have a friend who has been running MM system in his system for about 6 years and it is one of the nicest softie LPS tanks I have ever seen. Also has one of the largest and nicest Sebea Anemones as well. The only thing I have ever know him not to be able to keep was clams and I can't figure it out because he has good water quality AFAIK and OK flow. The only thing might be calcium. Anyway I am happy with it. I can't take pictures right now as my camera is not cooperating with me but it is a basic sump/fuge. I light 24/7, have about 40 lbs of live rock in there as well and a whack of Chaeto that I am constantly trimming back. It is a 77g sump/fuge that was made at AI in Edmonton with 3 compartments and baffles in the middle where the fuge is. HTH

Willow
01-20-2006, 01:39 AM
i run mm, have done for nearly 5 years, it's basically just a large fuge with no skimmer. i grow almost all lps, works great but if you want to go sps i would recommend a large skimmer to go with it.

http://www.johnhaisell.com/reef/canreef/cheato.jpg

scub steve
01-20-2006, 01:45 AM
awsome ya i was thinking of changing and seeing nobody has said anything bad i think ill try it thanks for the pic too does the mm system replace calcium? im going to keep a skimmer on it too

Ruth
01-20-2006, 01:49 AM
There may be trace amounts of calcium in it I don't know but you should test and monitor as it definately will not make a noticably difference if you have any calcium uptaking critters.

scub steve
01-20-2006, 01:55 AM
ok cool thanks well it looks like im going to have to take the plunge and buy a calcium reactor

Willow
01-20-2006, 02:07 AM
it does release some but not much, it also does some alk buffering but not much. it does do lots of oddball trace releases. are you planning on using it in a more traditional fuge or setting it up as a "eco system"? also you are talking about "miricle mud" brand stuff right and not the knock off stuff. i ask because it is pretty damn expensive for what you get. most people i know who do use it feel it's worth it but it's hard to convince people who havent tried it before.

Willow
01-20-2006, 02:10 AM
also you dont need a calcium reactor, it's nice to have but you can drip kalk and use a 2 part additive if you don't have the cash.

scub steve
01-20-2006, 05:11 AM
ya im going to use the brand stuff is that what your using ? ya im thinking of useing kalk can i just mix it up in my fresh water bin with a power head and drip it that way or use it with m auto top off?