PDA

View Full Version : Clam Question

danny zubot
01-19-2006, 07:26 PM
So I get a phone call from Angie at home telling me that the new Squamosa clam I recently aquired has fallen (or knocked) over. She says that it is laying in the sand and that it's mantle is not covered at all. She did notice that there is a "large hole" in the back of it and that she can see right inside of the clam. Most likely on the side where its foot extends. I'm still a bit of a clam newbie so any advice would be welcome.

I should add that it's foot did attach a couple of days after i got it on Saturday. All water peramiters are fine except CA is low.

seashells
01-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Not sure about the hole, but our Squamosa has moved quite a bit, in fact turned right around and sideways a good 3". They can slam their shells shut & "jump".

christyf5
01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I would be careful about setting it up in the sand with that "hole" exposed. I've had problems with bristleworms crawling into the hole and having a late night snack. The next morning I have a bare shell. Try tucking an empty snail shell directly underneath it and prop it up as best you can.

OCDP
01-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Heh, I'm guessing it jumped ship. I don't think you have much to worry about... just prop it back up when you get home. I prop mine up on a decent size chunk of live rock so it can be moved if need be, and so it's foot is not attacked by bristleworms as christy said. No experience with squamosa clams though, just the crocea.

Willow
01-19-2006, 10:42 PM
mine was never happy in the sand until i got it up onto a piece of rock, it hasent moved in the last 8 months now.

geopod
01-19-2006, 10:59 PM
wow...mine is in the sandbed and hasnt moved yet.And I put it there in December...

george

Marcus K
01-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I have had mine for a couple of years just sitting on the crushed coral. Did not know that bristle worms were a pest to clams. I guess I will have to keep a close eye out from now on. I did buy a sand dollar for some reason awhile back that moves alot of my frags around and seems to spin the clam back and forth.

danny zubot
01-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Ha, when I got home last night I noticed that the hole Angie was telling me about was just its mouth, or whatever it is called. I was gaping a little bit. I think my pistol is reponsible for the clam toppling over as it was put close to the pistol's cave. Anyway, I think it will be fine, I just propped it back up, but in the sand this time.

OCDP
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Danny, you should really try to prop it up on a chunk of LR, it REALLY comes in handy, just in case you ever want to move it around ,etc... I know lots of people that didn't, and now after having it attatch itself, they wish they would have done so... it's pretty nice to be able to move it around if need be.. :)

RonPeter
01-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I placed my clam on an oyster shell so it is easy to move around if need be.

rickjames
01-20-2006, 04:29 PM
As I understand it Deresa and Squamosa are better off on the sand, because as they get bigger their byssal foot shrinks and they rely on their weight to hold them down in the sand. Crocea and Maximas however are found attached (or in the case of croceas, bored into) to the rock in nature and stay there.

EmilyB
01-20-2006, 06:19 PM
That clam has always been on the sand Danny, I expect it jumped. :wink: