PDA

View Full Version : Dying corals

Murminator
01-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Ok Geopod had a candy that was dying so I took a piece to try it in my tank over night it changed it was like night and day I could not believe the difference
THEN last night it was looking awesome and when I came home tonight It changed again :mad:

How over night it could change from this

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/100_1152.jpg

To this "OVERNIGHT" in almost exacty 24hrs

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/dyingcandy.jpg

Right now I am so P.O'd:mad:

In the last few days I added a frog spawn that was not doing well(It wouldn't open up) now tonight it is delfated not retracted, deflated and just flopping around like a limp noodle (Update it has now retracted into it's skeleton)
Could this have something to do with it?

My lights just shut off I will try to get the parameters

saltynuts
01-19-2006, 03:09 AM
do you use ro water. if so how old is the membrain, i had that happen before and i changed it and all was good after that. just a thought.

Ruth
01-19-2006, 03:20 AM
That's weird. It would seem to indicate some kind of bug or bacterial infection for it to go that fast. I have had corals die quickly before but it doesn't usually spread to another coral. Isn't this same thing happening to a Calgary reefer and he is getting high iodine levels?
The other thing that comes to my mind is salt. This is because I was one of the unfortunate ones that managed to get in on that bad IO salt a couple of years ago that nuked my whole tank. Just a shot in the dark but maybe check to see if you both are using the same salt, bought from the same place, at around the same time. Seems to me quite a few of you Alberta guys were getting in on the boxing day salt sale at Big Al's?????/

Murminator
01-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Good ol tap water treated with prime. Same old bucket of salt haven't opened the new ones yet. almost the same problem as geopod. Talked to him on the phone I'm thinking maybe the water. George is using tap water also wonder if they are adding something different

Reefhawk1
01-19-2006, 04:07 AM
Hey Murray

It could have contracted a brown jelly infection due to the move. If it is still alive try dipping it in Reef Dip solution it could reverse the affects

BT05
01-19-2006, 06:54 AM
Assuming your water parameters are ok, this could be the result of toxins released by neighboring corals and the gradual buildup over time especially if you house alot of softies.

Also, from the pic it looks like the candycane is sitting too close to the green coral to the right (blasto?). I've read that mussids actually have sweeper tentacles (like most LPS) that are rarely seen but still damaging.

I would distance the new LPS additions far away from any of the other corals and run carbon 24/7 to reduce the toxins. I find that LPS corals take weeks to adjust to a new tank and won't show off fully until a month or so. Try to give them moderate flow to carry away any dead tissue.

Murminator
02-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Well just a little update the 2 heads that were stone dead came back to life last week one is getting green the other is still brown but they have mouths and sweepers that have been taking in cyclopeze :mrgreen:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/Murminator/candy.jpg

geopod
02-09-2006, 12:19 AM
bugger............

george