PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor and Panacur

Delphinus
01-19-2006, 02:20 AM
I need both of the above. The Panacur is a heartworm medication that can be used to treat hydroids; the Interceptor for the red bugs. (I don't know if I have red bugs, but I figure if I have to get a vet script for the Panacur I might as well try to get some Interceptor while I'm at it.)

Haven't had a whole lot of luck with the vets yet, most are unwilling to prescribe something without you taking in an animal for examination and since you can't take in an aquarium I'm not having a lot of luck.

Calgary North vet clinic is willing to let me come in and show them the documentation I have before deciding to decline, at least.

But has anyone tried this already and had any luck? What vet did you use, and do you possibly have any of either left over?

I did talk to the vet that eposer used for Interceptor in the past, but after thinking about it, they decided not to help me. So I'm still stuck at the moment.

JSTR
01-19-2006, 04:10 AM
Tony,

Be careful with panacur as it will kill hydroids but is also supposed to be harmful to all worms and most inverts like snails. Never used it myself, as the one tank I have that I would think of using it in is a sterile tank (knock on wood) no hydroids. All the research I did into panacur, has led me to believe its good but needs careful attention (I'm sure you have looked into this already). If you run out of luck with the local vets, take a gander at seahorse.org, there are a few online places you can order it from.

Just out of curiousity, what are you keeping, that has you afraid the hydroids will harm them. Most animals are not affected by them.

HTH

BMW Rider
01-19-2006, 04:13 AM
I'm getting the same run around from the vets on the Interceptor. i'm going to try the NC Vet Clinic tommorrow and see what they say.

Xtasia
01-19-2006, 04:44 AM
lemme know i can pop some in the mail worst case tony.

-willow using a stollen account

Delphinus
01-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Just out of curiousity, what are you keeping, that has you afraid the hydroids will harm them. Most animals are not affected by them.

The hydroids have done a significant toll of damage on my SPS, my 75g is no longer an SPS tank as a result (partially, at least, there are other factors as well but this is one of them). The other thing is over years, they have proliferated to the point they are very unsightly. Manual removal is not an option; it's like trying to drain a lake using an eyedropper. I have nothing left in my 75g that couldn't be moved for a panacur treatment, it's more a case of trying to salvage some $500 worth of rock. I have some really nice pieces in there and it would be a shame to give up on it.

Thanks for the offers for interceptor; if I get nowhere I might take someone up on that, I'll give the vets a few more tries. I'm quite surprised at how reluctant the ones I spoke to today were. Sympathetic when I explained that these "Red bugs will irritate corals to death" but not enough to actually do something to help. I wonder what kind of legal ramifications they're afraid of.

Another option I'm considering is petmeds.com -- probably can't order from them to Canada but perhaps there is a way around that -- I'll look into it some more tomorrow.

albert_dao
01-19-2006, 10:10 AM
You should be able to get interceptor from the vet clinic beside the petsmart on macleod. just explain it to them, they've dealt with guys liek us before, ahha. I don't see it being such a stretch to get panacure while you're at it as long as you bring some kind of documentation.

Delphinus
01-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I think you are referring to Alpine Pet Hospital.

And they are the ones who "decided after all" not to help me out. When I first called, the receptionist said, "oh yes, yes I know about that, I'll talk to our vet and call you back." They then called back and said "After discussing it with the vetrinarian, we will not dispense any kind of medication without an examination. And we do not examine aquarium animals." So in other words, "P.F.O." I was extremely disappointed espescially given that they 1) have obviously been helpful with this issue in the past and 2) they clearly knew what I was asking for and why, but declined to be helpful this time in the interest of protecting themselves from some kind of weird liability or something.

They referred me to a vet clinic, "Calgary Caged and Exotic Clinic" but only on the basis that this place will do house calls for examinations, and thus presumably will still only dispense the medication on a visual confirmation of the problem (which cannot be done as I'm not even sure myself that I have red bugs, I'm trying to be proactive here), and of course, assuming that they will accept "threads from reefs.org and reefcentral.com" as a basis for dispensing medication.

If you have any luck with these people, I want to know why exactly they chose to screw me over when they've helped other people. I was polite and courteous, and tried to explain the situation. I am frustrated, annoyed and quite peeved at this apparent disparity/double-standard/discrimination.

You should be able to get interceptor from the vet clinic beside the petsmart on macleod. just explain it to them, they've dealt with guys liek us before, ahha. I don't see it being such a stretch to get panacure while you're at it as long as you bring some kind of documentation.

Delphinus
01-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Well after checking through all my emails this morning, I've gotten a response from 1800petmeds.com and they will ship to Canada. I think I'll just go with that for the panacur at least (although I see they also list interceptor on their site). I'm tired of this runaround I'm getting from the local vets. My own local vet is apparently on vacation otherwise I'm sure her clinic would have helped me (they were the first I tried, but her substitute/locum/whatever-you-call-it was the one who decided I should be talking to a "fish" vet).

If anyone wants to try the North Calgary vet clinic, the "fish" vet there is Dr. Richard Weger and his technician is Steve. I was allowed to set an appointment with this Steve fellow to be able to show him whatever documentation I had regarding these meds in an aquarium setting, and after that he was going to discuss the matter with Dr. Weger before dispensing. I'm not going to proceed with this exercise at this time since I'm not feeling particularly lucky anymore. If anyone wants to continue the exercise though to see if we can at least get this clinic alongside with our needs; the number there is 277-0135 and their address is 4204, 4th St NW (apparently across from James Fowler high school).

Willow
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
tony interceptor is not prescription, you should be able to just walk into any clinic and just buy it. you may want to remind the receptionist of that fact, they probably have no clue.

BMW Rider
01-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Well after checking through all my emails this morning, I've gotten a response from 1800petmeds.com and they will ship to Canada. I think I'll just go with that for the panacur at least (although I see they also list interceptor on their site). I'm tired of this runaround I'm getting from the local vets. My own local vet is apparently on vacation otherwise I'm sure her clinic would have helped me (they were the first I tried, but her substitute/locum/whatever-you-call-it was the one who decided I should be talking to a "fish" vet).

If anyone wants to try the North Calgary vet clinic, the "fish" vet there is Dr. Richard Weger and his technician is Steve. I was allowed to set an appointment with this Steve fellow to be able to show him whatever documentation I had regarding these meds in an aquarium setting, and after that he was going to discuss the matter with Dr. Weger before dispensing. I'm not going to proceed with this exercise at this time since I'm not feeling particularly lucky anymore. If anyone wants to continue the exercise though to see if we can at least get this clinic alongside with our needs; the number there is 277-0135 and their address is 4204, 4th St NW (apparently across from James Fowler high school).

I just got home from there and was successful at getting the interceptor to treat my acro. I consulted with Steve, showed him all the info I had on the issue, the drug, and dosages. He was very receptive and helpful, he even looked at other medications with the same active ingredient to see if there was another better choice. In the end we concluded that the Interceptor was the best choice afterall, with the smallest dose tablet being more than sufficent to treat my QT tank. Dr. Weger agreed and allowed the prescription and dispensing of a single tablet so I would not have to buy the entire pack. Total cost for the consultation and drug was $7.22. They now have all the information on file that I took in, so if you mention my visit, they can refer to it for info.

Delphinus
01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow ... it's NOT a prescription?? Now I'm even more annoyed!

1800petmeds.com said they'd take orders from Canada, so I think I'm done with trying to talk to the locals anyhow. Web surfing is so much funner than driving all over the city in the search of some mystical thing. But that should mean that others should be able to have some luck. I guess don't call the vets beforehand like I did, just show up and ask for it.

Edit: I posted this before seeing BMWrider's post. I am glad that some success can come from this. Thanks Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

christyf5
01-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I just got home from there and was successful at getting the interceptor to treat my acro. I consulted with Steve, showed him all the info I had on the issue, the drug, and dosages. He was very receptive and helpful, he even looked at other medications with the same active ingredient to see if there was another better choice. In the end we concluded that the Interceptor was the best choice afterall, with the smallest dose tablet being more than sufficent to treat my QT tank. Dr. Weger agreed and allowed the prescription and dispensing of a single tablet so I would not have to buy the entire pack. Total cost for the consultation and drug was $7.22. They now have all the information on file that I took in, so if you mention my visit, they can refer to it for info.

Good score on getting the single tablet. I have a whole pack and it was $60. Not that that was expensive compared to other tank stuff I've wasted my money on :rolleyes: :razz:

Willito
01-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Wow ... it's NOT a prescription?? Now I'm even more annoyed!

1800petmeds.com said they'd take orders from Canada, so I think I'm done with trying to talk to the locals anyhow. Web surfing is so much funner than driving all over the city in the search of some mystical thing. But that should mean that others should be able to have some luck. I guess don't call the vets beforehand like I did, just show up and ask for it.

Edit: I posted this before seeing BMWrider's post. I am glad that some success can come from this. Thanks Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100% on this interceptor search. I too drove a 4-5 different Vets all of the city trying to explain what I needed but in the end came up short. Most place wanted the "doctor/client" relationship before helping you or prescribing any drugs. The last place I went to also referred me to Dr.Weger but I didn't bother trying anymore after that. In the end I ended up ordering online and got my drugs a week later. How I see it, the time and effort it takes in meeting/explaing/begging with the vets for this drug is not worth the time when this drug can easily be obtained online without any hassle what so ever.

midgetwaiter
01-21-2006, 06:00 AM
Delphinus I know where you can get a Fenbendazole paste identical to panacur called safeguard in Calgary no questions asked. It disolves in water faitly well, I've used it on WC fish before.

PM for the details if you still need it as I would rather not risk them finding out they aren't supposed to be doing this.

I stronly suspect that the Vets are doing this to protect their purchasing cartel more than anything else. I imported a bunch of wild caught geckos a while ago and all of the vets in town wanted to examine all 10 of them before they would give me anything. At $40 bucks a pop + what they change for the drug. I don't think so...

You would not believe what Weger @ Calgary North wanted to nueter my g/f's rabbit either. Absolute highway robbery, I used to refer a lot of customers from the pet store I worked at there too. All the clinics in town were priced different even though they claimed to get their pricing from the same published schedule too.

polosdog
01-21-2006, 06:17 AM
I do believe that tanks a lot in calgary has some panacur that he was using to treat reptiles for worms....I got some off of him for some of my outdoor birds.....I am sure if he has some left he would be willing to give you some or sell some to you
His name is Gary he works on the weekends

Chaloupa
01-21-2006, 06:49 AM
FYI-Interceptor is for Heartworms....Panacur is for intestinal worms

Please, before we start to slam veterinarians for obeying Pharmaceutical laws and trying to make a living, realize what schooling they have, overhead they have to pay and many many other factors. Yah it may suck but they have a job to do and laws to obey. If you do have that relationship with your vet and he or she feels comfortable dispensing you Interceptor for you red bug issues consider yourself lucky as you are using the product "off-label".

And remember, Pharmaceutical laws in Canada are much different that the U.S.

mr_alberta
01-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Tony, the Edmonton guys have a hook up for Interceptor, so if all else fails, contact "Michika" on the board here because she can get it from her vet.

fatpuffer
01-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Try the SPCA vets. Maybe they will be more empathetic to our needs.

Js

Willow
01-21-2006, 05:13 PM
FYI-Interceptor is for Heartworms....Panacur is for intestinal worms

Please, before we start to slam veterinarians for obeying Pharmaceutical laws and trying to make a living, realize what schooling they have, overhead they have to pay and many many other factors. Yah it may suck but they have a job to do and laws to obey. If you do have that relationship with your vet and he or she feels comfortable dispensing you Interceptor for you red bug issues consider yourself lucky as you are using the product "off-label".

And remember, Pharmaceutical laws in Canada are much different that the U.S.

yeah but interceptor is not prescription, at least thats what my vet told me. it's over the counter medication, the main problem seems to stem from the fact that the receptionist doesnt seem to relize this and is giving people precanned responses that you will have to have a consultation with a vet first ie; consultation fee. trust me when i tell you that having a lot of dogs and being an adoption rep for a dog organization that vets will try and extract the maximum amount of money from a client possible, sort of like dentists and their detrimnation to rid the world of wisdom teeth. the more reseach you can do ahead of time and bring to your vet the better off you and your animals will be.

Chaloupa
01-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Intereceptor IS a prescription product....it has a DIN which is drug identification number which requires, by the government, that in order to dispense this product the veterinarian must PRESCRIBE it to you and have a current client and patient relationship. It isn't an "over the counter" medication; as an example if you give this medication to a dog that is heartworm positive you can kill that pet...yes we are talking corals here not dogs....but my point is that veterinarians are not trying to get a maximum amount of dollars out of you, they are trying to do their job and abide by the laws that are placed on them for proper handling and dispensing of drugs carrying a DIN.

I myself am a dog owner, and a coral owner...would I expect my vet to just give me the drug? No, as I said previously, if you have found a vet that is willing to dispense this drug to you, consider yourself lucky~ I am not trying to start a heated discussion here and getting the mods to lock this thread or send out warnings...it just upsets me to see a profession attacked all the time with no considerations.

Good luck to the people with red bugs that have a vet who will give it to them! One day I am sure that I will encounter red bugs and will be trying to find Interceptor too. Hope your red bugs are gone!

midgetwaiter
01-22-2006, 02:24 AM
I can't argue with a vet not wanting to dispense Interceptor like that but Panacur is a different story.

It is OTC and is not toxic until you get into 1000+ times the recomended dose. The only reason you can't get it regular stores is because wholesalers will only sell to vets and such in this country. The store I found willing to sell it is doing nothing wrong, I'm just concerned that their supplier will refuse to sell to them in the future should somebody complain.

fatpuffer
01-22-2006, 04:32 AM
I am sure that both over the counter and prescriptioned drugs had DIN numbers. They show that the drugs were evaluated and reviewed by Canada by the TPD.

Js