PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean your PVC pipe?

targaboy78
01-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Guys, I know it sounds anal but I am ready to do my plumbing and I would like to clean all the dirt/text off my PVC pipe. (The text that describes the diameter, manufacturer and other details).

Also, is there a solvent to clean off the purple pipe cleaner/primer or should I just use clear primer? (If so, where do you buy clear primer? I can't find it anywhere).

I was toying with the idea of only applying the purple primer to within 1/8th of an inch of where the fitting ends so that it would be hidden when the fitting is installed. Would that work?

Just trying to get a really "clean" look to the plumbing.

Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Paul.

BMW Rider
01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Lacquer thinner works pretty well for that. You should be able to buy it at any paint store by the gallon. Just wet a rag and wipe down the pipe.

muck
01-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Isopropyl alcohol works pretty good too. Try to get the stuff thats 99% U.S.P.
I got mine at Save on Foods. Its the Western Family stuff.

StirCrazy
01-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Also, is there a solvent to clean off the purple pipe cleaner/primer or should I just use clear primer? (If so, where do you buy clear primer? I can't find it anywhere).

Paul.

what ever you use to clean the ourside of the pipe make sure it doesn't leave a resadeu, I would use acitone or something like that.. as for purple primer nothing takes it off, if you spill it on lanolium flooring you might as well sell the house :mrgreen: :redface: um... I did that on my old house... best is to do it outside as not even light sanding of the floor will remove it with out destroying the floor. my sugestion use clear primer and clear glue, or go with the grey PVC and use grey primer and grey glue.

Steve

Willow
01-18-2006, 08:55 PM
use clear primer for a nice looking job.

seashells
01-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Hey Paul,

We carry it at the store. You can also get it from Home depot or Rona.

Doug

Mike Olson
01-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Paul. I have some clear primer and clear glue if you want to use it. Take some primer on a rag and wipe your PVC clean, it get off the lettering et al.

targaboy78
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info.

I found some Oatey clear primer but I have not been able to find any clear PVC cement.

Will the stuff they use for conduit work?

Can you tell me about the stuff that you have?

Which store did you find it?
Which brand/product?
What colour is the label?

Any extra info would help.

Thanks