PDA

View Full Version : Reef Researching at Outlet Websites. DON'T

Scavenger
01-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Didn't quite know which forum to put this one in, so lounge it is.

So after re-instating the 110 gallon as a reef tank, I was thinking a tang or 2 might be in the future. "Which one?" I wondered. Well I'll just google and look around.

I was looking at power brown for a candidate and came up with this:
http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/tangs/powderbrowntang

And this:
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/powder-brown-tang---acanthurus-japonicus-fish--tangs.html

As only 2 examples of the varying diversity on how oultets promote and endorse certain fish and livestock for home aquaria. I know which of the above is more accurate, but I'll let you figure it out.

This is not to say I do my reef research on outlet webpages, but thought it would be an eye opener for some newcomers to the hobby, as I was quite shocked by the complete "differance of opinions" such as the above

Do your research at non outlet websites. I won't name names but there are more than a few that are more concerned with keeping these treasures alive than making a buck or 2.

Beverly
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Looked at both sites. The one that says the fish gets to be 10" and recommends a tank of at least 100g is by far the better of the two recommendations. However, I would not keep a 10" fish, or an 8.5" fish for that matter, in anything less than a 300g.

There are no tangs in my future :neutral:

Scavenger
01-18-2006, 03:52 PM
What got me was the one promoting the Gold Rim Tang (Acanthurus nigricans) over the White Cheek (Acanthurus japonicus).

The japonicus (from my readings at credible sites) has a survivabily rate over the nigricans by about 100:1. Few nigricans live past 3 months in captivity.

This is a trend I've notice in promoting a few differant species for marine life.
I can understand varying opinions, but the one above just blew me away.

Beverly
01-18-2006, 04:12 PM
I would be interested in a list of the URLs of the credible sites you mention. I think we all need to research our potential fish purchases armed with the best info available :)

TIA.

Scavenger
01-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I would be interested in a list of the URLs of the credible sites you mention. I think we all need to research our potential fish purchases armed with the best info available :)

TIA.

www.wetwebmedia.com
and
www.reefcentral.com
are my 2 favorites. Reef Central can be a pain with standard search being disabled, but if you use the search tools in the left border you can (eventually) find what you're looking for.

Here's the exact wetwebmedia link I was referring to in the above post.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/GoldRimSs.htm

Xtasia
01-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Do *your* homework.

Quinn
01-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Caveat, how do you know the folks on RC have legitimate information? How can you be sure the statements of Fenner and friends have scientific rigour? Some sources are better than others, but I would never make a decision without considering my sources in a critical light.

Scavenger
01-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Quinn, you bring a new and legitimate aspect to this thread. I guess it comes down to who's credentials you think are better and whom you trust.

For my part, I've asked many questions of RC and WWM before making a move and for the most part my replys were bang on or only slightly off.

To my way of thinking, if someone is trying to sell you something, take the hailed virtues with a grain of salt. I quess as reefers we must research before purchase, but I find it ironic that the more research done, the more contradictory the data. Esp with outlet sites.

Xtasia
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
A good reefer should try to get information from many sources... ones from hobbiests, as well as from researching the wild habitat and requirements before deciding if this is a fish they would like to take into their care. I think these commercial websites offer a good jumping point but like any source may be externally motivated. Take anything, even from hobbist, experts alike with a grain of salt. No one is truly an expert.

geopod
01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
SAcavenger I seen the same thing when I was looking at other fish to add to my tank.I noticed that the size difference and the tank size difference on atleast 3-4 sites opposed to just the two you mentioned.But I hear ya and I just asked fellow hobbiests and found my answers to be all the same.So Needless to say I never bought the fish I was after. As he wouldve eaten the rest in my tank.

george