PDA

View Full Version : New Sump and Ampmaster for 20g

titus
05-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Hello,

I've just glued together my new 4ft sump (3 bubble reducing baffles, and 1 refugium) for my 20 gallon to fit in the Ampmaster 3000. Hopefully I'd have the whole thing done very soon. Mor ha haha hahaha.....

titus
05-30-2002, 01:43 AM
Hello,

Finally got all the parts today and have just glued together most of the PVC part. I'm gonna let it sit for a day and fill it with water on tomorrow.

Notice how I've separated the Beckett on the Bullet-2 skimmer from the skimmer itself. The sump has a shallow profile such that in the summer there will be lots of cooling to prevent all these over sized equipment from heating up my tank too much. And yes, this is all for a 20 gallon.

http://www.canreef.com/images/production/sump/titus_sump.jpg

[ 29 May 2002, 21:48: Message edited by: Titus ]

canadawest
05-30-2002, 03:38 AM
How much larger than the main tank does the sump have to be before it officially becomes the main tank? :rolleyes:

C'mon Titus, your bloody sump is twice the size of your tank! When are you going to get serious with the main tank and put in something bigger? tongue.gif

titus
05-30-2002, 04:42 AM
Hello,

Oh my, I never realize until you mentioned it. The sump is indeed twice as big. However, the water in there would not be filled up all the way so it's a tad bit smaller than my display tank.

I've always wanted a larger tank but I'm not doing anything unless it's a 300+ gallon placed in my living room. To do so requires significant floor bracing and the building of a stand, neither of which I have the time to do right now.

titus
05-31-2002, 06:24 AM
Hello,

Finally got some salt water in the sump and have the Ampmaster running, feeding just the PM Bullet-2 skimmer. It's quite a thing to see the system start up.

It looks like a car engine. The whole manifold sort of shake a bit and the long pipe to the skimmer looks like how the exhaust on a car shake during ignition as well.

But one thing kinda bugs me right off the bat. I know it's new salt so skimmer haven't been run it yet and excess bubbles are being released. But take a look at this picture. The whole first section of the sump is acting as a skimmer of its own. Notice how much bubbles are being released and how the gunk is trapped outside of the skimmer instead of inside. Hope that in time it'll improve.

http://www.canreef.com/images/titus/sump_excess_bubbles.jpg

Troy F
05-31-2002, 11:44 AM
Looks great Titus. I do believe you have the most expensive 20gal set-up in the world.